Floor is Grouted at Last!
I have finished the floor (except for the caulking of the tub and threshold). I used Laticrete Spectralock Pro Premium epoxy grout. I mixed a custom color using 1 part Silver Shadow and 3 parts Platinum. I may have been able to just use the Platinum and been happy, but I thought I'd do this just to make sure the grout line had some contrast.
I know I have posted this floor a lot in varying degrees of completion but here are some more pictures.
Grouted but threshold not caulked yet:
Samples of Silver Shadow and Platinum grout colors and the blend that I used:
To get to this point in the bathroom remodel, and the floor in particular, the steps involved include:
1. re enforce the existing joist with hangers
2. add new joist (old corn crib wood from the turn of the last century, and it was beautiful) to make 10" o.c. joist.
3. secure the new joist to the subfloor and T&G floor from above with screws.
4. Add exterior 3/8" grade plywood to existing 2 layers of subfloor and fir T&G original floor. Screwed every 4" o.c. throughout (I forgot I was told to do 6" o.c.). Thanks Bill V. for help in designing this floor prep.
5. Laid floor heating wire, 2 temp sensors, plastic lathe, SLC
6 Ditra-Set (unmodified) to set the Ditra and to set the tile
7. Tile was cut using Mongoct's fantastic formula to achieve the correct tile width needed for the herringbone design to fit/layout correctly. He also gave great instructions in laying out the herringbone.
8. Laid tile with 1/4" grout spacing.
9. Cleaned all the thinset out between the tiles really well.
Used 2 coats of Miracle 511 penetrating sealer.
TODAY GROUTED, as per instructions!
This floor was a laborious effort and many people on GW (bathroom and remodel forums for the most part) have helped me problem solve issues and instructed me on the how to. Thanks so much everyone.