Storing wool clothing

Gina_WDecember 14, 2009

I don't wear a lot of wool, being in Southern California, but I have a few cashmere and merino wool sweaters. I got 2 tiny holes in 2 sweaters over the weekend! So mad. I have cedar blocks hanging in the closet, and I don't want to stink up the closet with herbs, etc. So, can I store the sweaters in plastic bags or do they need to breathe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

Go ahead and bag them. Make sure they are cleaned first. Fold with layers of plain white tissue and place in the bag. Ziploc makes lovely HUGE bags that are perfect for this. I found some at Target.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 5:05PM
Gina_W

Thanks! I've got to take care of this immediately, so I'm bagging all woolens tonight!

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 5:47PM
centralcacyclist

If the moths have left eggs behind, you need to dry clean or launder them first or freeze them to kill the eggs, the larvae eat your woolens. Make sure they are cleaned of any food (no implication that you a messy eater!) which will also attract critters to your clothes.

As an aside: I have had poor luck with dry cleaning mohair and similar knits. The cleaners ruin the fibers with either the chemicals or the heat. Better to use a mild shampoo. Cashmere and wool seem to be fine at the cleaners.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 6:01PM
Gina_W

I hand-wash or use the gentle wash cycle, then lay them flat on towels on the guest bed to dry, even the cashmere.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 6:09PM
lindac

I wash cashmere...
I just found a cashmere sweater in a drawer that I forgot to bag.....
I sure hope it's OK!! Because it's my fave!
Never thought of freezing....gotta remember that one!

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 6:30PM
dedtired

I can't tell you how many things I have lost to moths -- and yet I never see a moth. Worst was TWO beautiful camel hair coats. I did try putting things out in the garage for a few freezing nights last winter. Guess that won't work for you.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 8:35PM
compumom

Ditto, ditto, DITTO! I bag all of my sweaters and cedar blocks do nothing. Try mothballs in a closed space or if you can't stand the smell, use freshly dried lavender.
I bought mine from here--

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender Farm

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 6:05PM
Gina_W

I found an empty plastic zip storage bag that a blanket came in, and it fits all my woolens, so in they went with some tissue paper.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 6:47PM
centralcacyclist

Those are perfect.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 7:14PM
dedtired

I thought about this post today. When I was at work today I thought I saw something on my shoulder. When I looked closer -- it was a moth hole!! One of my co-workers uses lavendar to keep them away.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 8:12PM
teresa_nc7

I've been reading about storing wool yarn and it was recommended to 1) wash with baby shampoo or lavender liquid detergent and 2) store in zipper plastic bags with discs of cedar to keep away moths.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 10:07PM
beanthere_dunthat

Putting them in cotton pillowcases (obviously, you close the end) works well, too, and has the added advantage of allowing the fibers within to breath. (Maybe not a big consideration where you live, but I learned the hard way in KY not to use plastic to store clothing.) The lavender also works. The scent confuses and repels moths. Pennyroyal, bay leaves, and eucalyptus also work, but don't smell nearly as good.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™