Finished!! A Bath and a Half on a Budget

gsciencechickNovember 27, 2008

Hello, everyone! Happy TG! I am more of a lurker than a poster. Thanks to all your help we were able to complete our remodel of our 1960's ranch bathrooms. It's hard to take pictures because these baths are small: 37 and 21 sqaure feet. Total cost was about $5,000. We also had the shower fixtures changed out, light fixtures changed, and GFI outlets put in since there were no electrical outlets. Yes, it would be nice to put at least a shower in the master, it just wasn't possible, but maybe in the future. It's also important not to "overimprove" for our neighborhood.

Disclaimer: DH bought this house around the time he met me, so I personally might not have picked something that needed so many upgrades when neither of us are particularly handy. However, I have made the most of it. We did all the painting, the tin ceiling, mosaic backspash, towel bars, and switchplates. We needed help to do the plumbing, electrical, and floor.

We used the existing floor and shower tiles in the main bath (previous owner DIY, so not perfect job like we're used to here). The tub was reglazed and is holding up well. We did change out the plumbing fixtures in the shower to Price Pfister white porcelain vintage. We did the sandstone texture finish on the walls because they were rough and had about 6 coats of paint and wallpaper on it. There was no way to remove it all, and we were not taking the walls down at this point. So, faux it was. It was a HUGE mess to apply, and I would not do it again, especially in a bath.

Main/Hall Bath:

Kohler Memoirs toilet with Stately Tank

Estate Vanity with MarCraft cultured marble top (there was a different top that came with it)

Estate matching mirror

Paint: Valspar Sandstone texture finish in aqua (huge pain to apply!) with two coats Valspar Clear Protector

Ceiling: American Tin Ceilings Snaplock #20 in bright white satin, #C9 crown molding in bright white satin

Towels and shower curtain: JCPenney

Light fixture: Lowe's, I cannot remember the brand, perhaps Portofino

Towel bars: Gatco Franciscan

Shower head: Shower massage

Switch plates and baseboard molding: Lowe's

Tub reglaze: Miracle Method

Half/Master Bath

Kohler Memoirs toilet with Stately Tank

The Euro vanity/sink was from Home Depot, but I cannot remember the name

Sink faucet: Moen ORB, Lowe's

Medicine cabinet: Zenith, Lowe's

Paint: Valspar Timber Dust in Satin finish with white semi-gloss trim

Ceiling: Valspar ceiling paint

Towels and towl bars: JCPenney Evergreen Collection (the TP holder was D/C before I could complete my set!)

Toilet tissue holder: Pottery Barn

ORB Light fixture: Lowe's, Portofino

Switch plates: iron oxide from Restoration Hardware

Ceramic floor tile and backspash: Venetian Stone, Lowe's

a href="http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n321/gsciencechick/Bathroom%20remodels/?action=view¤t=Oldwroughtironfixtures.jpg"; target="_blank">

Here is a link that might be useful: PB album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pepperidge_farm

Nicely done! Very clean finish- my favorite look for a bathroom;-) I like the little touches (robe hook, backsplash). Having lived in Brooklyn, I love tin ceilings!! I assume they are faux tin being in the bathroom.

Congrats

Bookmark   November 28, 2008 at 4:59PM
gsciencechick

They are powdercoated tin. American Tin repeatedly reassured me they would work in the bathroom. If you look on their website, you will see other bathrooms. These have actually been up about a year and half and look as good as new with no problems.

I finally took photos last weekend. We were about 95% done for a long time. We had to caulk the corners on the crown molding and put up the curved shower rod. That was a big finishing touch, and I refused to take "finished" pictures until the whole thing was really finished.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 10:33AM
TxTwiggy

How's the Valspar Sandstone paint holding up in the bathroom?

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™