Boot Error..Please Help

don_na_naSeptember 2, 2011

I need some files off an old desktop, but when I try to boot up I get an error message:

Boot Error System Halted

Can anyone give me some advise on how to get the PC to boot up

so that I can retrieve my files? Any help is appreciated!

This is a Gateway PC with Windows XP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

You could check all cable connections to Hard drive by taking the side off, the error usually indicates the drive has failed.

If you don't have an XP Retail version cd, then,

"Windows just crashed. The computer won't boot back up. Those "System Recovery Disks" that came with your computer will erase all of your data. In most cases, when Windows breaks and will not start up again, none of your data has been lost, you just don't have a way to get to it."

Here is a link that might be useful: knoppix

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 3:06PM
bpgreen

Another option is to get an external drive enclosure, put the old drive in that and copy things from it.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 5:33PM
mikie_gw

if you leave a cd in the drive and it tries to start from that drive first.. that's the 'error' message.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 6:59PM
don_na_na

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was finally able to boot the PC up and retrieve my files.
Mikie I didn't have a CD in but I think that it was trying to boot from one. I read that I could boot up from the Windows XP disc if I changed the settings by hitting F1 when trying to boot the PC. When I went into setup, it appeared to have already been set to boot from the disc and I wasn't inserting the disc. I'm not sure how this setting could have gotten changed (the computer was working fine last week)or if maybe I read the settings wrong in setup, but I changed it to boot from the HD and it booted right up.

I am definitely ordering an external HD enclosure. Thanks again for the help!

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 5:46AM
mikie_gw

cool.
Not sure if all, but some computers boot order will by default look at cd drive first, then next at the hard drive. But usually if no cd is inserted it moves to the hard drive.
I'm thinking possibly/maybe you have a fault in the cd drive.

My laptop powers up and looks at the cd drive 1st.. if I stuck in say a recovery cd or dvd in it would boot off that without me needing to fool around with the bios boot order settings.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
Strange software update
This popped up on my desktop today by the clock but...
acraftylady
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™