Cold in large tub?

dreambuilderNovember 11, 2012

In our future build I will finally get the jetted tub of my dreams (I hope:) Question is, I am used to a regular tub with a shower curtain or glass door that keeps the warmth in. Do people with the nice jetted tubs feel like you get colder faster b/c you don't have it "enclosed"? Are there any such things to enclose a jetted tub to stay warmer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dreambuilder

I would love to see pictures if anyone has successfully put up glass shower walls around their jetted tub.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 10:35PM
KevinMP

When I was considering installing just a tub to save money in my remodel earlier this year, and to avoid the costs associated with a stall shower, I considered installing the air bath into an alcove with glass French doors. That way, you could open up both French doors when you wanted to take a bath, but you'd have the waterproofing necessary to use the bath as a shower.

The other issue with using the bath as a shower is that it's not recommended to use an undermounted or drop-in tub in a tub/shower combination. So that leaves alcove tubs or the more expensive varieties (like MTI and Hydrosystems) that allow you to design skits and flanges on different sides.

Here's an example: http://www.aladdinsglass.com/media/single-frameless-shower-doors/previews/French-Doors-for-Tub.jpg

I resolved all of this (except for the part about saving money, of course) by installing both a tub and shower stall. But good luck. I think it can be done, and I would have done it by using a Hydrosystems tub with a tile flange on three sides and a fixed acrylic skirt on the front with the glass French doors.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:28PM
treasuretheday

We have an MTI Harmony airbath/whirlpool combo tub at one end of a fairly large (16 x 10) masterbath. It's not enclosed by any type of door or curtain but I haven't found it to feel cold at all. It has an inline heater which maintains the water temperature and it is also a deep tub so the water is near, if not above, my shoulders. If anything, I tend to get warmer as I soak and usually have a large glass of ice water nearby (right next to a tall cocktail!)

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:04AM
debrak_2008

Don't get a tub bigger than needed. How is the bathroom heated? Do you plan on underfloor heat? Radiant heat can be cranked up before taking a bath to keep the room toasty warm.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™