Using 511 Impregnator

remodelqueen_2009November 22, 2009

I applied a water-based sealant to the grout in a tub surround that I tiled in our master bath. Unfortunately, it failed quickly, despite extra applications. A friend has recommended I apply 511 Impregnator. I have a few questions:

1) Do I have to remove all of the old sealer (only 6 months old, it is by Tile Labs) before applying the impregnator? If yes, then what would I use to remove the old sealant?

2) The tile guy at Home Depot told me there was no reason for me to apply the Impregnator the the grout alone - that the sealant would not harm the tile (which is ceramic, not glazed). Is this correct? [I had applied the water-based sealant to the grout only - what a PITA! It went everywhere and was difficult to clean up.]

3) Can I use the Impregnator on the 2nd bath I'm now tiling (where I'm using 6X6 regular glazed bathroom tiles)? Same question as above, would I apply it only to the grout, or just do the entire wall of tile?

Thanks for all replies!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neilaz

If by failed you mean it does not bead water then just apply the new sealer.... True the sealant will not harm the tile but it will leave a haze on it. Apply sealant to the grout and after a few mins use a wet sponge and wipe down the area to get the sealant off the tiles

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 10:41AM
bill_vincent

Okay-- first off, your best bet with reference to going over the waterbased Tile Lab sealer, I'd get in touch with Miracle's tech line. I have a feeling there might be a problem, but I don't know for sure, and I'd hate to see you go through the headache of having to remove the sealer from the grout (which I question if it's even possible to remove a penetrating sealer) if it's not necessary.

Now, as for the other questions with respect to application, they're right in that you don't want to leave sealer on the tile, but there's no reason you can't take a rag soaked with sealer, spread it over the whole area, let it sit for a few minutes, and then take a dry absorbent rag, and wipe off the excess. You DO need to wipe off the excess, though.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 10:42AM
stone_guy

511 is a great sealer and has a good reputation. Be sure to remove the excess as soon as it starts to haze--if it dries it can be a real pain to clean up.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 10:04AM
lschroeder

What's the secret to wiping off the excess sealer from the tiles? I thought I did a good job, but my tiles have a bunch of haze. I'm reapplying a little sealer to the tiles to remove the haze but it is very labor intensive and my arms are tired. Are there any tricks of the trade?

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 5:37PM
stoney3

I was told by a sales rep that when using 511 impregnator sealer to just spread it over everything, I just finished installing natural stone, do I need to wipe it off the stone to prevent hazing or is the sales rep right in telling me put it on everything and let it cure/dry ?

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 2:12PM
kirkhall

For natural stone, you want it over everything. Natural stone needs to be sealed. If you were using porcelain, that'd be a different answer.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
Sponsored Products
Black Wood 71" Etta TV Stand with Storage
Zuri Furniture
Fairfield Rectangular Patio Planter
Signature Hardware
Hand-painted Serape 5.75-inch Melamine Ice Cream Bowls (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Elements Fine Home Estate Fabric Chair Set - EST-2PC-SC-SC-SEAS-7
Hayneedle
Nolan Post Lantern by Quoizel
$309.99 | Lumens
Jasmin Dust Ruffle
$19.99 | zulily
Vetro Chandelier by Eurofase
$736.00 | Lumens
Cleveland Rubbed Bronze Two Light Island with Light India Scavo Glass
$129.90 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: