Adding a fringe to a drop in tub. How?

shibafuNovember 20, 2013

Hello. We are remodeling our bathroom, and we realized that we ordered a wrong type of bath tub. The tub is a drop in type, but it will be installed in alcove space. I have seen that there is a flange kit from Kohler. How effective is it? Is it also visually acceptable? Is there any other way, other than using a flange kit, to install a drop in tub which can be water tight or water proof? Any info. is appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

I did it. I have the kohler Greek tub installed in an alcove. I ordered the tile in bead kit. But my contractor had something similar that he liked better so we used it. It is a plastic length of material that gets installed around the tub and then the tile comes down over it. We have used the tub as a shower for over two and a half years with no problem.

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 9:53PM
ineffablespace

It depends on whether the tub is cast iron or acrylic how well they work, I think. The Greek is acrylic and the plastic flange can essentially be fused to it like you can fuse two pieces of any plastic with certain adhesives. Porcelain probably doesn't take to this as well.

Is there any way you can just return the tub and get the proper flanged kind? I know a delay of a few weeks can seem enormous at this point but a few weeks will be over soon and a slow chronic leak around a tiled in bathtub lasts forever (unless you take it out and put in a flanged tub).

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:22PM
lee676

Problem arises when the tub you want to use isn't 60"L, the only size where flanged alcove tubs are widely available. There are only a handful in the 5-1/2' and 6' sizes, so you'll probably want to use a drop-in tub that the manufacturer recommends for use with a tile-in flange kit.

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™