Silicone caulk

LesliePNovember 3, 2011

Our bathroom caulking around the tub has turned yellow and is coming loose in one corner. The caulk was clear which I liked. What caulk should I use? This is a small bathroom that was completely redone three years ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
savemecash

Use clear, non-yellowing silicone designed for bath and kitchen applications, that is mold resistant.
First strip away all old caulk. A razor blade usually works best. Clean the area with mineral spirits and let dry.
Use painter's tape to tape off areas where you don't want the caulk and to give you a clean line. Apply the bead of caulk and use a small piece of foil or waxed paper or plastic wrapped around your finger to smooth the bead. Silicone is not water-soluable, so don't use your bare finger unless you don't mind cleaning the mess off. Pull off the tape.
Clean up with mineral spirits if necessary.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 7:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_g_web

I'd add that sometimes silicone caulk can form a skin very quickly so don't wait to smooth it or pull the tape. It can also be very sticky so to reduce mess, use a thin bead. Also, if you're building up much material under your finger while smoothing, you've probably laid down too thick a bead; stop before you get the build-up and clean your finger before proceeding. Not sure but different manufacturers/products will probably have different properties; age of the tube can be a fctor too - this stuff does have a shelf life and should be dated. (The stuff I used did.)

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions
Hello. My bathroom is starting to come together and...
mrsshayne
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
Sponsored Products
Over the Sink Cutting Board in Lime
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Green Measuring Beaker Set
$26.99 | zulily
CeraCast 5 qt. Ceramic Wave Stock Pot - CCWSP05
$69.98 | Hayneedle
Modern Fan Company | Cirrus Ceiling Fan
$368.00 | YLighting
Circulon Symmetry Chocolate Hard Anodized Nonstick 6 qt. Covered Chef Pan Multic
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Kathy Ireland Providence Floor Lamp - 85-2863-9J
$349.91 | Hayneedle
VWW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
3-in-1 Hot Beverage Set
$18.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™