Starting over after 5 years

mmksSeptember 20, 2012

I was a steady lurker sometimes poster here 5 years ago when we built our new home. A month ago we had a house fire that started from an electrical problem in the attic area above the garage. We all got out, including our pets, and we got many of the pictures and such so we are very lucky! But now we are back down to a bare foundation, they are coming out to check that and make sure it is okay. I know we are using the same basic floor plan, but was wondering if you could help me out on what is new and exciting in the past 5 years! I know this is very broad, but I would appreciate your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sowega

I don't have much in the way of exciting design trends, but I am sure am glad no people were hurt. Very sorry about the loss of your house. Perhaps the silver lining is you can have a chance to remedy a few of the "nagging" things that bugged you with the original design!

I'm very traditional and classic, so my tendency is to use those type design elements and finishes to avoid being caught up in "trends" that will change again in 5 years. Best of luck in rebuilding....

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 12:56PM
popeda

We have survived two fires, one at our home in the 70s and one in an apt. where we lived as we rebuilt. Certainly gives you a new perspective on the value of "things."

You know the things you loved about your house, and the things that you would have changed a bit. Here's your chance.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 2:08PM
Annie Deighnaugh

It's an opportunity to build green if you didn't the first time...put money into insulation, windows, geothermal or whatever else might work in your area, active solar, passive solar, tankless hot water, etc. etc.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 5:08PM
gaonmymind

I am glad everyone is ok. Maybe you could post a plan and let us know what are some of your wishes.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
How to cut back on cost
We have 6 kids, 4 still at home. We want a large house...
mommabearof5
is/has anyone built a frank betz home?
Just wondering... Which model? We are currently considering...
liptonjl
Lessons of this Winter
I find lots of people are guided by aesthetics and...
edlincoln
Bank help: What is a 442 Appraisal?
We thought we'd found a great construction loan program...
redheadeddaughter
Don Gardner Callaway Plan - anyone have pictures
My wife and I are considering building the Don Gardner...
Scott Carson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™