caulking between the tub and wall tile shrunk

itsallaboutthefoodNovember 11, 2012

What type of caulking should you use between the bathtub and the bottom edge of the tile on the wall? We used purchased unsanded caulking from the tile shop which matched our grout color. This was done last February. But I recently noticed that the caulking has shrunk away from the cast iron tub and now there is a little gap.

Did we use the wrong kind of caulking? Should I dig it out and replace it with something else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

Many people use silicone for that reason. Between the bath and the wall is always difficult. There may be other approaches that allow you to use your caulking.

One of the reasons I went mostly white tile, white grout. The silicone matches perfectly.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:25AM
itsallaboutthefood

Thanks for your response.

The tube says that it is Siliconized Acrylic Latex caulk...is that not the same thing as the white silicone caulk?

At any rate, I think I will try using plain white cilcone caulk...it will match the bathtub color so I don't think it will show badly.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:29AM
alan_s_thefirst

Not quite the same, but I would have thought it would flex as well. I'm suggesting pure 100% bathroom silicone, mould resistant. It has lots of give and flex. If you get gaps with that stuff, you have other issues.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 5:02PM
itsallaboutthefood

Thank you again!

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
air /jacuzzi tub help. need to decide ASAP
http://www.costco.com/Access-Tubs-Venetian-Dual-System-Bathtub.product.100057666.html I...
matdrew
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™