AVG 2012 Upgrade

DA_MccoySeptember 25, 2011

I do not recall seeing any report on this so it is worthwhile sharing with AVG users as there are so many occurrences of notifying pop up windows being fraudulent.

On September 1, 2011, AVG Free Edition 2012.0.1796 was released followed by AVG Free Edition 2012.0.1808 on September 23, 2011. As common practice AVG spreads the upgrade through its normal update service. This is done so as not to overload their servers.

My notice came today after a normal database update by announcement via an appearing popup window on the Desktop. The upgrade was 52.9MB and typical in installation. During the process there was one window offering optional AVG Search along with the AVG Toolbar so watch for it.

The upgrade required a reboot and a fresh database download of 20MB.

All and all no muss, no fuss.

DA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannaz_gw

Hey, DA! Love those words "no muss no fuss" However...

I was just looking into this for my Wxp, and am concerned about AVG's link scanner. When I upgraded my FF browser yesterday, it disabled the link scanner in my old AVG, saying it was incompatable with the new browser. I'm wondering if it will still be incompatable when I upgrade AVG. Am I going to have to choose between FF and AVG?????

Thanks
J

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 10:10AM
DA_Mccoy

I personally am not aware of any conflict. You could just disable it. I only use the AV feature so all other offerings are disabled.

DA

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 12:42PM
jean001a

J said "During the process there was one window offering optional AVG Search along with the AVG Toolbar so watch for it. "

I ended up with it even though I didn't notice an option to opt out. After I realized what happened, I checked in the control panel but it lists the entire program only.

Anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Help with color on my images
I take pictures and on my camera they are a good color...
berk
Anyone else getting Lottery spam since HOUZZ took over?
Of my various e-mail accounts, only the one I use on...
lazy_gardens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™