U.S. Ceramic tile from Home Depot vs. Dal-tile or American Olean?

alg1026November 17, 2009

We are retiling our shower in basic white glossy subway tile. Floor is already tiled in Dal-tile matte white 6x6 tile. The finish on Dal-tile or American Olean white tile matches perfectly, but husband came home from Home Depot today with boxes of U.S. Cermaic brand white tile. It feels like and not as nice as the American Olean sample tile we picked up from Lowes the other day.

Does anyone have any experience with U.S. Ceramic? Is it an inferior product? The color is identical, but something about the tile just did not feel right to me. Would appreciate some insight -- cannot find anything on this site or much on the Internet related to the quality of U.S. Ceramic tile. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

Although it's not really an inferior product in that it performs any worse than AO or Dal, I have a little sore spot with USCT (which also used to be known as Romany Spartan). Back about 12 years ago, in a cost cutting effort they decided to cut down the thickness of the tile, so it's about 2/3 the thickness of the other two, when all three used to be pretty much the same size. It used to be Romany was my favorite tile to use, until they "cheaped out". I was afraid if they did something like that that could be seen, what did they do that couldn't?

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 7:46PM
maryland_irisman

Another negative issue I've had with tile from HD or Lowes..AO makes certain tiles expressly for HD or Lowes. 6 months later, they've quit making a style and you may not be able to locate replacements. My suggestion would to make sure you buy enough for future patch work or possible add-on work.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 8:00PM
alg1026

Thanks for that observation. I actually meant to type above that it feels "lighter" than the American Olean, but had a typo. I guess my suspicion is confirmed.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™