Screws to use with fiberglass shower wall

lilloNovember 10, 2013

I bought a handheld shower with a bracket that I wanted to put in my old guest bathroom . The problem is that the the shower tub combo is one piece of Fiberglas with the walls . The screws sent with the bar won't hold it tight to the fiberglass and might crack it . Is there another kind of screws that I can use ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

lillo:

Who says you need mechanical fasteners? Clean the fiberglas and the back of the bracket, apply 100% silicone and tape it in place for a day or so. Carefully cut off the squeeze-out with a razor knife after its set up. If there is enough footprint on the bracket, this may work.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 12:21PM
millworkman

You also might be able to use 3M VHB tape!

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 1:04PM
lillo

Would these methods be sturdy enough to hold the bar ? taking in consideration that there will be some pull up and down on it to move the position of the shower head .

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:51PM
millworkman

Worth a shot before you screw the surround. If you have to screw thru the surround you will need to have the screw into a stud or blocking (which should have been figured in the original layout).

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 9:19AM
Trebruchet

lillo:

Have a local solid surface fabricator fabricate a color matched piece 2" longer than the bar you want to mount. Drill through the solid surface completely to mount your hardware (don't screw directly into the solid surface), making sure the back is flush. Silicone the solid surface to the shower wall. It ain't comin' off, even if you used it as a grab bar.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:22PM
lillo

Thank you for your suggestions . I'll give it a try with the silicone first . If it doesn't work , I'll the idea of adding the solid surface .

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Advice on how high to hang mirror?
My BR remodel is in the finishing touches stage, I...
shappy22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™