Problems w/Kohler Memoirs Toilet

suebotNovember 25, 2010

Does anyone have or had the Kohler Memoirs Classic Elongated 2 Piece Toilet. I had one installed yesterday and the flushing is not right. This toilet does not have "a flapper". It has a different type of stopper. When you flush it it almost sounds as if it was clogged but the water in the bowl does get siphoned out. There isn't much water in the bowl either. This is 1.6 gallon toilet. I am not happy and every part is installed as the instructions say. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? Also, if I need to replace this toilet what would you suggest; nothing modern looking.

Thanks,

suebotinct

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dedtired

Hmm, I have one and have not been happy with it. It simply does not "clean" the bowl. I frequently have to reach in with a tissue and clean off the remains. Sorry, but there's no other way to describe it! However, there has been no clogging.

As far as the sound, it does sound different from my ancient toilet, but I got used to that quickly. There is only about half as much water in the bowl as my old toilet. This means that the "matter" sometimes does not land in the water, and that's a problem. Again, sorry, sorry, sorry for the visual!

I have seriously thought about replacing it but I don't have a suggestion for a better model.

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 10:38PM
gsciencechick

We have two older Memoirs that were installed in 2007. I think they have changed the flushing mechanisms since then because it looks like ours do have a flapper. We don't have any problems with clogging, but we have the "outhouse" effect you describe above. I don't know if this is specific to low-flow toilets or just this specific model. Of course, if you have to flush multiple times it negates the water savings.

Good luck.

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 10:12AM
jacobse

Reading on this forum about issues others had with their recent-vintage Kohler toilets, I eventually switched my plan to get a Kohler and decided to get a Toto. (Well, two, actually, after the tried one in our guest bath remodel and liked it so much we decided to get another for our master bath remodel.) In particular, the Toto models with their "double cyclone" flushing system do a particularly good job of cleaning the bowl. I've been amazed that the 1.28 gallon models flush perfectly and clean the bowl better than our 1.6 gallon Kohler. We have the Carlyle II model, which you may find a little "too modern", but there are other Toto toilets with different styles that have the same innards.

-- Eric

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 5:00PM
wentil01_aol_com

If you want more of a flush, hold the lever down longer.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 11:15PM
dedtired

Since this has been bumped back up, I will mention that i had the same problem as the OP. Take the lid off the tank and look for a narrow white tube. Stick it back in the hole in the top of the cylinder and that will solve the problem.

Holding the lever down longer won't help.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Tile sizes and colors...help!
My husband and I are about to tear our hair out. We've...
alidanae
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™