Upgrading range vent in new house - clarification needed

bbstxOctober 9, 2013

We are buying a new house. It is not a custom house, but we can make changes and upgrades. The standard kitchen exhaust is a cheapo recirculating things built into a pretty cabinet. I want a hood vented to the outside. I'm trying to shop online to see if I can get a better price than just telling the contractor to change it. However, I don't have a clue what to look for.

When I re-did my kitchen in the house I just sold, I simply bought an under-cabinet hood. I got the Zephyr Typhoon and could not have been happier. But now that I'm looking for something that will be built-in, I am clueless what I even need to be looking for.

What are the components needed for a hood like the one pictured below? Liner? Blower? Internal? External? Inline? I don't even know what all of that means.

I started my search at ajmadison.com because not only do they have good prices, but their website seems to have the best information. Nevertheless, I remain clueless.

Can some kind soul give me a little guidance and education?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

For a setup like that pic you need:

1) hood liner
2) roof cap
3) vent pipe, which your contractor will provide

I have the EuroStoves/Modernaire 1200cfm liner which is vented straight up through the attic. Search for tons of info on both here. I have a Broan high capacity roof cap I ordered from amazon.

    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 1:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here's an install pic

    Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 1:39PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help picking out the right appliances
Hi Im trying to decide on a slide in electric double...
Julie Hall
Best duel fuel range
If you wanted duel fuel which would you go for?
Regret buying Kitchenaid double ovens...should I go with Bosch?
Newbie here...we are planning a remodel and I ordered...
Cabinet front dishwashers
We are putting in two cabinet-front dishwashers in...
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™