New computer - moving photos?

jane__nyAugust 14, 2013

Trying to word this so it makes sense. Hubby has an old XP desktop which is full of photos. He uses Picasa and MS Picture It to do editing. He also uses Adobe Photoshop occasionally (doesn't really know how to use it well).

He spends his time taking pictures of flowers and landscapes and uses those programs. MS Picture It is his favorite. This is an old program which MS doesn't make anymore but I still have the disk.

Bought him a new laptop with Win 8. This will be a major challenge for him as he never really mastered XP! I want to set things up for him to make it easy as possible.

How would I move all his photos over to the new laptop?

I'm not sure he ever saved most of the edited pictures. They seem to reside in the Picture It Library. There are too many for me to check each one to see if they were ever saved to the computer.

My biggest fear is they were never saved. If they are in the library, are they somewhere on the computer?

Same problem with Picasa. They show in the library, but are they on the computer if he never saved them?

I feel so embarrased asking this, but I never thought about it. Will he lose those photos?

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

You couldn't view them if they weren't saved on the computer. You should just be able to plug in a thumb drive and copy them, and then move them to the new computer.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:00PM
jane__ny

Thank you for the quick response. I figured they should be, just can't find them. He is so afraid of losing his photos. I did back up his photos on a drive. I'm thinking they are probably saved in a Picture It file rather than a regular file. I'm hoping they transfer.

Thanks again,
Jane

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:50PM
kudzu9

Well, if you open up the Picture It program, you should be able to find out the name of one of the picture files. Then go into Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and search on the name for your whole C: drive. That will allow you to identify the folder where the pictures are located. Then copy and paste them all to the flash drive. Don't cut and paste them as you want to leave the originals on the old computer in case something gets messed up doing the transfer.

One other thing important thing. I'm not very familiar with the Picture It program, but believe it saves copies of photos with a ".mix" extension. You may not be able to open these files on the new computer without the help of a program that can convert these files to another format. It might be best to install such a program on the old computer, and convert all the files to a more common format like".jpg" before you move them. Below is a link to a free Microsoft program that may deal with this issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: MS Digital Image Starter

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 0:18

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 12:16AM
SnidelyWhiplash

If you backed up the photos "on a drive", can't you copy from the backup to the new PC?

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 1:35AM
owbist

Jane you can use the Windows Easy Transfer Tool to move all pertinent data from the old machine to the new laptop. Slick program and worked well for me.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
Chrome browser crashes
Every time I click a link to open with Chrome browser,...
grandms
clicking to open a link doesn't work
Recently I had my computer serviced, now when trying...
cornsnake_lover
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
Sponsored Products
Roll & Hill | Excel Desk Lamp
$390.00 | YLighting
Lift Highback Office Chair in Black
$629.00 | LexMod
Providence Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$249.00 | Bellacor
Chintaly Candy Contemporary Dining Side Chairs - Set of 2 - CTY1216
$194.04 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay 5-Light 10 ft. Black Flexible Track Lighting Starter Kit EC6827BK
Home Depot