How to make bathrooms look larger with tile size and placement?

zinfanaticNovember 26, 2007

I will most likely put some type of tile on the floor in both of my bathrooms. How to I make the rooms look larger? Do I use larger tile? Do I lay the tile on the diagonal? I am working with fairly small bathrooms. Appreicate any suggestions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelsweetdream

hi...a few weeks ago there was a thread about tile size...someone posted a picture given to him by the tile store showing which lay out and size makes the room look larger...it was diagonally set large tile...i was shocked and am changing my original hex tile choice to 12x12 tiles! good luck rachel

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 6:38PM
monicakm_gw

Yes, larger tile set on the diagonal make the room look larger. I saw the same sketch. It's amazing. I'd already laid my tile tho...20" on the diagonal :) And fewer grout lines are always a good thing.
Monica

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 6:47PM
bill_vincent

I agree with Monica. Lay the tile diagonally, and it gets away from the square modular look, which reduces the size of the room into "modules" as the name implies, thereby pychologically reducing the size of the room

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 8:10PM
jennymama

What about the running board pattern?

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 9:14PM
bill_vincent

Running bond will still give you a somewhat modular look, but if you like it, go with it!!

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 9:26PM
beatrix_in_canada

We chose really large tiles; 24" x 24" on the floor and 12" x 24" on the walls with a 6 x 24 "border" throughout - and it looks great! Before we did our bathroom I had only seen this kind of tile in magazine pictures or in a large showroom. So yes, I was a bit scared if we made the right choice for our much smaller bathroom. But even my very old fashioned stepfather who tried to discourage me before he laid the tiles for us was amazed by the effect and loved it.

That is a really big tile so I wouldn't recommend to lay it on the diagonal or you'll have a huge amount of waste.

This is a picture of the wall tile.

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 12:47AM
zinfanatic

Thanks all! I suspected large tiles set on a diagonal was the best way to go. Glad to have that verified by my "experts" on the Home forums! Zin

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 7:00PM
jerzeegirl

Beatrix: What tile is that? I love it.

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 10:38AM
beatrix_in_canada

zinfanatic

it's the Leonardo Shape series. An Italian porcelain tile that looks very natural but is easier to install and take care of than most natural stones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leonardo Shape

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 2:12PM
pkirkha1

Here is the pic people made reference to earlier that the tile store gave me to help me visualize. I found it helpful and did go with larger tiles but everyone should do what they love and every bathroom is different. Here you go:

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 3:38PM
teresa_b

Interesting thread. I just met with the tile installer on Saturday and he advised against diagonal (which is what I wanted). He said room was too small for diagonal. This is for an L-shaped laundry room and tile is 13 x 13. Tile is not yet installed. I think I may change my mind (won't he love me?!) and go for diagonal.

What about for a powder room, which is smaller? I am using the 13 x 13 again. Would it work even with such a small space?

Teresa

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 9:08PM
MariposaTraicionera

My tile is 18x18 and we tried laying it in the very narrow bathroom area to see how diagonal would look and I didn't care for it. I suspect that it would depend upon the size of the room and size of tiles being used.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 10:43AM
teresa_b

Thanks Mari,

I have been thinking about this a lot since my post, and I was coming to the same conclusion.

Teresa

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
108 year old claw foot tub stamped HYS
I've been having a very hard time trying to identify...
flippincrazy
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™