Need Help with Granite Color Selection

JZeldNovember 27, 2012

My wife and I are struggling to pick a granite color for our bathroom remodel. We have dark (black) cabinets and the vanities already have a painted glass. The area we are purchasing granite for is between the two vanities, where my wife will also have a make-up area. My wife does not like "spotty repetitive" patterns. We had narrowed our selection down to Samba (http://www.graniteforless.com/gallery/images/granite/samba.jpg) and Wild West Green (http://www.stoneplusdesignllc.com/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/3/Wild_West_Green_3cm2-640x519.jpg).

The concern on the Wild West Green is whether that color will fit our room and whether it will quickly look dated.

The concern on the Samba is that there is too much movement.

For either one we would see a template before giving final approval.

Anyone have any thoughts, or suggestions? Thanks very much in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treasuretheday

Here are your photos...

Samba:

Wild West Green:

The selections you've made so far are beautiful and it's well on it's way to being a gorgeous room.

I love the Samba granite for two reasons... I personally love granite with lots of movement, it's so much more interesting to me than (as your wife describes) spotty repetitive patterns. Also, I really like the warm and cool tones in it. It does look more cool/gray than your room appears in the photo (although maybe it isn't quite as warm-toned IRL) Have you been able to take your floor tile to the granite yard?

The Wild West Green is very pretty also but I tend to favor granites in neutral tones. I'm always reluctant to commit to a particular color in such a major way.

Your colors are similar to my masterbath where we used Moxura:

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 5:00PM
enduring

Samba, it has the warm brownish coloring mixed with the gray. It looks like the same color combo that is in your room tannish walls and black cabinets. As mentioned by Treasure, the tile will be an important element to match.

This post was edited by enduring on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 18:58

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 6:56PM
phiwwy

Samba hands down. Definitely gather some floor and shower tile and accent samples to take and see with the slab. It's amazing and with the right finishes will be beyond stunning!

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 11:23PM
JZeld

Thanks everyone. Treasuretheday -- your bathroom is amazing and we love all the details. It looks like you even have a speaker to play music!

On our MBR, I think the picture and lighting is making the room look a little more brown than it actually is in reality. The name of the floor tile is silvercloud (marble -- pic attached). The wall color was a color match off of the tile. There is certainly a hue of borwn/tan but also grey.

We are now being told that they may not have enough granite to do the Samba and won't be getting any more (they say the mine they got it from closed and they haven't gotten new pieces ina few years). Can anyone suggest anything similar? We're also open to any other suggestions. Should we be looking for greys? We are torn because we want to keep a clean/modern spa look, but we also want the granite to pop a bit since everything else is so muted.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 7:56AM
phiwwy

We are using Ivory Supreme (also looks like/known as Super White) with our very dark cabinets. And lots of grays. It's not that easy to find but I've seen on GW quite a few people using it now, in place of marble.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:36AM
writersblock

Personally, I would like the gray better than either of the two you showed, for all that they are beautiful stones.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:20AM
enduring

Your floor is warm gray. I do not like it with the cooler gray of Phylhl superwhite above. The superwhite is spectacular, though with that warm tannish gray of your floor, I think there should be a better match in gray tones. Grays can be hard to read, the undertones can be green, browns, reds, blues. I am looking forward to what else you find out there.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:11AM
phiwwy

Now that I re-read your post - you're looking for a modern/spa look. I would think a Caesarstone or Silestone would fit the bill. You could really make it very zen....

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:29AM
JZeld

Thanks again everyone. The Samba is out and we've soured on the Wild West Green so we're back to the granite yard and I'll be sure to look for superwhite as well as see what they might have available in Caesar/Silestone. I'll post pics, including better pictures of the bathroom.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Console legs for wall-mount sink?
We have installed this sink in our bathroom: http://www.ybath.com/duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin.html?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_content=duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&cvosrc=pla.google.duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&gclid=CKjNlI3C08QCFYhhfgodmE8A8Q The...
lesleymatson
Faux Carrera on floor and in shower, what countertop?
Love the look of all marble bathrooms but I don't have...
rpk1
Sponsored Products
Sterling Finesse 6305-34 34W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door - 6305-34N
$739.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Mohawk Home Rugs Frise Shag Kingsgold 2 ft. x 8 ft.
$35.00 | Home Depot
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Craftsman 52 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Designers Fountain Lucern LED6050 LED Wall Sconce - Satin Platinum - LED6050-SP
$119.50 | Hayneedle
Fabbian | Tile D95 E07 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Desk Lamps: Adrian 20 in. Brushed Steel Desk Lamp 32005BS
$79.00 | Home Depot
Lynx 54-inch Built-in Grill with ProSear Burner, Brass Burners, and Rotisserie
FRONTGATE
40" Red Cedar Curved Bench
Fifthroom.com
People viewed this after searching for: