Wondering how to bust up a zip file with 7zip

shaddy101August 6, 2014

and the size to make it(them) after that? I am trying to learn how to bust up zip files that are perhaps too large, or maybe I don't want the whole thing? How do I decide what size to make it when the time comes> The tute showing me doesn't clarify.
Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Does the tute mention if you write it to dvd you can have a file 4gb but if you write it to cd in needs to be 650 mb.

You size large zips to fit the media or to make it a comfortable sized file to upload or download. Plus sometimes email rules come into effect.

I split a windows 8.1.1 DVD up into 8 chunks to upload a copy. Server upload size rules.

If you're working with a large already zipped file.. you should unpack it before zipping it into chunks. Otherwise you will create some confusion and double work for whomever opens it.

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:53

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:49PM
shaddy101

Your last comment applies to what I want to do Mikie, I believe because the gal is using a smart phone, she is having trubble with a really large file, not that I sent, but I downloaded, and have offered to bust it up somewhat to resend to her, I do not understand the verbage in the tute as far as sizes, so guess I will just unzip it, rezip in smaller pkgs, and just send via email. Maybe some day I can take the time to figger out the other route. Thanks for your time fella, much appreciated.
Shaddy

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 12:29AM
mikie_gw

Its really very simple .. choose add to archive for the whole shebang

... then at the bottom left you can use the dropdown box and select CD size or??? or fill in the blank with any size you want like 50M for 50 mb.

So if you had 150 mb of files when compressed and told it 50M, it would probably makes 4 splits.-- 3 about 50M and a final one of just a few mb.... for processing overhead.

She puts all 4 in one folder clicks the first one and its magic.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 3:51AM
shaddy101

Mikie, grateful for your response, even if I didn't get back right away. Just have to inquire tho, how do I figger the M size of the files, and where can I find how much each one actually is? I thought I had something a while back, either misplaced it, or it flew into the waste.
I want to be able to calculate the amount of each group in the file, and figger out the zips. I know this isn't right, but I am green as grass for this, and need these little niggling facts I guess. Many thanks, and most appreciated that you take the time to respond.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:14AM
acraftylady

When someone has to send me a large file on my smart phone they send it through send space and I have the send space app on my phone. It's a free site for sending and receiving large files. Other wise I just transfer from my computer to my phone using the Bluetooth as I am too lazy to take the case and cover off to get at the memory card in my phone. Mary

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:56PM
mikie_gw

Most files you can right click and select properties and see the size.

Or from within the folder that the file is in, from the View menu item select Details.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™