Am I making a mistake with these colors?

Beth ParsonsAugust 23, 2012

I have to select my shingle color in the next day or two - we've pretty much decided to paint the Hardie board a muted green very silimiar to Mountain Sage with the trim off white and a deep red with orange undertones for the shutters/door (Sherwin Williams 'Sierra Redwood. I have tentatively selected Owens Corning 'Brownwood' as the shingle color which is a brownish/red with dark brown porch & accent metal standing seam roofing.

I'm soooooo worried that the red/green combo is just going to be too much and look odd. I'm on 6 acres with many mature trees in the front yard and open pasture in the back. There are several subdivisions close to me that are all basic red brick with black or grey roofs. I'm drawn to Brownwood because it's different but I don't want to have the house that everyone drives by and points at because it looks hideous, you know? Plus, our remaininf detached garage already has reddish shingles but it wouldn't be a big deal to re-roof it if need be.

I'm open to any and all suggestions - should I stick with 'brownwood' or go with another shade like 'Teak?'

Here's a look at 'Brownwood'

Another view of a Brownwood roof:

What I hope our exterior will look like!

This is the detached garage that we left standing. The roof is a bit brighter than the new house and will only be 15' away. Brownwood is the shingle color on my litttle shed behind the camper. :) We can change the garage roofing if need be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Houseofsticks

Funny, during your description l was remembering that same house with the porch! I thought it was beautiful then and now.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 12:35AM
Beth Parsons

That beautiful house belongs to sandyponder - I've attached a link to a thread that includes an even better shot of the exterior. Love it!

This is the exterior elevation of our build if it helps any:

Here is a link that might be useful: sandyponder's house

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 12:46AM
arch123

I like your color choice. Red and green are complementary colors and using them muted will work well. The roof looks like it has a red cast that will blend in as well.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 7:11AM
Beth Parsons

Thank you, archie123! We love the outdoors and I want the colors to reflect who we are and have very calming, earthy tones. Just so, so worried about having too much red!

Another couple of questions - would this style of house look ok with an all metal roof and what color would you choose to put on?

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 7:56AM
suzyqtexas

I think it definitly lends itself to a metal roof. I love the red windows. I prefer a silver roof, I think any other color looks commercial.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 11:49AM
Shades_of_idaho

We love metal roofing We are partial to white. The darker colors fade so quickly and there is no fixing the fade. White is much cooler then a darker colors too.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
Smart Homes Ideas
I am curious about the ideas that people are incorporating...
s_dipity
Opinions on using Rigid Foam on exterior walls & basement floor?
Okay, so I am getting a lot closer to groundbreaking...
ctsnicholas
Master Bath Layout Help
Hi, I have decided to get rid of the freestanding tub....
noworries22
Drywall returns more expensive than window trim? Since when?
So we are doing a minimalist house, and I have heard...
kiwigem
Sponsored Products
Woodard Aurora Stackable Dining Chair
$152.75 | LuxeDecor
Homelegance Flight Round Glass Counter Height Table in Dark Grey
Beyond Stores
My Commute Personalized Growth Chart Decal
$27.99 | zulily
Charming Mixups Art Print
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Vinotemp VT-15 TS Butler Touchscreen 15 Bottle Wine Cooler - VT-15 TS
$310.73 | Hayneedle