Virus Help

caseykeesAugust 22, 2012

My husbands computer runs Microsoft Security Essentials. The icon is red and says it needs to be updated. When I try to update, it says it is not installed. when I type in microsoft.com, it takes me to google search. When I search for microsoft, and click on a link, google said the page is missing. If I click on the "help" button in MSE, it takes me to the page where I can download MSE. I believe this is a fake page and a fake download button. ANY anti-virus software website I try to type in the address bar takes me to google search. I've tried using google chrome as well, and the same thing happens. I have tried Safe Mode, and the same thing happens. I am at a loss as to what to do. I need to scan his computer, but can't figure out how. He is running Windows XP, SP3 I believe. I get the same "google can't find the page, we don't know what happened" when I try to update his Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

You need to use a different computer to download MSE and get the latest updates. Copy these to a flash drive or CD and use on the infected computer.

You can do the same with Malwarebytes if you wish, be sure each time to get the latest definitions so you can update once the program is installed.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:48PM
caseykees

I am trying to do that now. I wasn't sure it would let me save it to a CD. Having trouble finding a cd laying around here. LOL Is it typical that I should have to "format" the cd? I usually only burn audio files. so this formatting step is different to me.

Kathy

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:52PM
caseykees

also, once i figure out how to save it to the cd, how do i know if i have all the necessary updates?

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:55PM
owbist

Kathy click here for the latest MSE definitions and howto.

Click here for Malwarebytes latest definitions

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:28PM
caseykees

OH! Thank you sooooooooo much! I actually found the MSE ones and was able to get it downloaded and it's scanning right now! But I have been looking for the malwarebytes and was having NO luck! LOL Your a lifesaver!!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
Firefox too much security? frequent blocking
I continue to have problems with Firefox blocking and...
jerry_nj
Anyone else getting Lottery spam since HOUZZ took over?
Of my various e-mail accounts, only the one I use on...
lazy_gardens
Sponsored Products
Stinger 5-in-1 Mosquito Kill System - BK500
$75.02 | Hayneedle
Peet Boot Dryer Electric Thermal Black - M9412S
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Kaz - Honeywell 50250-S Life Time HEPATM Permanent Filter Air Purifier Multicolo
$179.00 | Hayneedle
Blue Wave Del Clear Ab Ovale Ground Ozonator
Beyond Stores
3m FAP01-RS Small FiltreteTM Ultra Quiet Air Purifier - 2965-6063
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Kaz - Honeywell QuietCareTM 17000 HEPA Air Cleaner - 3227-8012
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Vetericyn Canine Ear Rinse Dog Ear Care - 006VET-1024
$24.99 | Hayneedle
3m FAP03-RS FiltreteTM ultra-clean air Purifier For Living Room - 2965-6014
$199.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™