Ceiling fans in walkout basement?

hondurangringoAugust 4, 2012

We're in Utah and are building a home with a walkout basement -- the southern exposure will shine sunlight at several rooms along the back. We're thinking of putting ceiling fans in for circulation but are unsure if they're even necessary at all.

Does anybody know if it's a common thing to put ceiling fans in a basement that stays pretty cool on its own?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david_cary

Common - probably not. We put one in (NC - Eastern windows) and we never use it. As you said, it is pretty cool on its own. I don't run the a/c down there and it is always a few degrees cooler than the main floor. When you are at the windows at the right time of day, it is a little warm but that area isn't even covered by the ceiling fan.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 5:47AM
ILoveRed

My 6 yr old house has a walk out basement with lots of south light. We put ceiling fans in two bedrooms, a large family room, and the exercise room. All of these rooms have a lot of light.

I like ceiling fans. I have them in many rooms on the main level as well. I wish I had one in my master bathroom.

We are in Central/southern Illinois and are experiencing a heat wave and drought.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 4:31PM
Annie Deighnaugh

We are in the northeast and our walkout maintains a temp of 63 all winter without heat and will warm up to about 78 on the hottest summer days if we keep it closed up, so we didn't put in ceiling fans. (personally I'm not a fan of how most of them look.)

You could put in provision and then wait to see how the place performs and add them later if need be.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
Spray Foam - Worth it?
I've been asked by several members of my family if...
Improv241
garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)
We should all start a support group for Garrell house...
SilverSpurTrust
GC cost-plus sanity check
Building house in central Texas. Received preliminary...
pliesj
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™