temp grout seal for doomed bath

lyviaNovember 6, 2012

Hi. I have an old hall bath with a standard 1963 shower/tub, which is slated for remodel to the studs in the next few months. Water was getting behind the tile, through the old grout, so I duct taped shower curtains to the wall, so the wall dried out some, and the the tile didn't fall off. Even with three showers a day, it has held together so far. But my elderly blind mother-in-law is coming for Thanksgiving, and she can't deal with the shower curtains.

Can I waterproof the tile with sealant somehow, just to get it past this visit? I'm tempted to try to spray paint the whole thing, and reinforce spots with more duct tape.

Plus, does anybody know if there are temporary grab bars?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Yes, there are temporary grab bars. The wall ones probably would be dangerous in your situation, though, since you don't have a really solid surface. There are grab bars that mount to the tub side, like these. (not endorsing this site; it's just the first one that came up when I searched).

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 2:06PM
terriks

Grout isn't waterproof anyway. Moisture can and does get through both tile and grout. Your shower is supposed to be waterproofed before the tile goes up.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 2:52PM
palimpsest

There are floor to ceiling grab bars, but the are not inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: pole grab bars

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 7:11PM
alan_s_thefirst

Silicone. It also works as a low to medium strength adhesive, which should help hold the tiles together.

Or you could use tuck tape, it's very strong and quite waterproof.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 10:30PM
lyvia

Thanks! now that I know what I am looking for, I see the grab bars and poles on Amazon. Excellent - I might actually get one by Thanksgiving!

Silicone sealant - I will look for it. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 3:41PM
live_wire_oak

I'd rent an accessible hotel room nearby for your MIL instead of you trying to spend money on something temporary and worrying over the whole situation. They will have the roll in shower with the grab bars, and it won't cost you very much over the temp measures you are thinking of for here. Some hotels even have accessible adjoining rooms if she travels with a caregiver.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:43PM
lyvia

Believe me, if I could get her to a hotel I would. In Laws are not known for compliance with rational thought.

Meanwhile, I got some DAP quikseal plus with silicone, to patch the worst of the grout, and some rustoleum Leakseal which seems to be a flexible rubber coating in a spray can. That should hold the tile for as long as she is here. Plus we got a grab rail. So we should be okay, at least for the bathroom part. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
air /jacuzzi tub help. need to decide ASAP
http://www.costco.com/Access-Tubs-Venetian-Dual-System-Bathtub.product.100057666.html I...
matdrew
Master Bath Remodel...Floorplan help!
Hello all, I am in the planning stages of a master...
fst96se
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™