Vanity Mirror Scale and Lighting

ashardingNovember 5, 2013

Please have a look at this picture and make suggestions. I've tried drawing in various side sconces but none have felt right as of yet.

So now I'm thinking about raising the mirror 3/4" and then putting lighting around the back of the entire frame.

Questions:
1) Does the mirror scale look good for this wall?
2) Do you have any sconce ideas vs. raising the mirror and putting lights around.
3) If I put lights around the back of the mirror, what type of light kit and bulb should I use?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lotteryticket

I would line the top of the mirror with the top of the doors. i don't think side sconces would fit well in that space. I'm clueless about backlighting the mirror but I bet it would look amazing.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 4:44PM
enduring

I don't think you need that large of a mirror on that wall. It is a mirror for your vanity that you will be sitting at right? For standing and seeing your whole body you have the door mirror to the right. Your drawing with the mirror just looks too big to me. I'd scale it down and make it more intimate. There might even be room to add sconces to the sides.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:39PM
asharding

If you look at the mirror on the right, you'll see two sink vanities. Each of these vanities has a medicine cabinet. The top of the mirror in the center of this picture is set at the same height as the top of these two medicine cabinets.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 9:47PM
shanghaimom

You don't want any lights mounted as high as what you've shown for a makeup vanity. The light should be on both sides of you, at about face level when you're seated.

Mount sconces directly on a mirror, simply framed out with "picture frame" painted to match your cabinetry. Bring it to edge of the cabinetry (abutting door frames)and up to be flush with the top of the doors.

Kind of like this image below from Houzz, except with trim. In your case, you could also just do an unframed mirror with a wide bevel but no wood trim because the doors provide a natural stopping point.

Traditional Closet by Troy Interior Designers & Decorators Marianne Jones LLC

Or this:

Traditional Bathroom

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 22:35

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 10:26PM
asharding

The plan is to back mount the mirror an inch away from the wall and install LED lights all the way around. I was hoping that this would provide evenly distributed light all the way around.

I've got the glass with the TV built in so I can't make it bigger. I can make it smaller.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:28PM
shanghaimom

Oh! I thought you were undecided. Sounds like you're all set, then.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:52PM
asharding

I'm taking off the top light per your suggestion. Now we're deciding between LED lights all around or two sconces as shown or both.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 1:30AM
enduring

I'd do both, because I don't think the LED will be enough lighting for a vanity. But I haven't done much looking at LED light output. You could look on the lighting forum. The color rendition and the light output will be important factors with the LED for makeup application.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 5:35AM
MicawberSchism

Cool design..Strip lights are somewhat popular as they can provide you better view with less shadows helping you to shave or apply makeup properly. sconce, is ideal for accenting and complementing overhead lights. They can add a decorative flair to the bathroom. I have them in my home since last three years. I bought another double side vanity mirror from Better Living. It also seems good in enhancing the appearance of my bathroom. keeping the sconce lights beside your mirrors will be a good idea to reduce the shadows. This is the one I like the most than LED lights.. Go for it..

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 6:50AM
writersblock

Those are nice looking sconces, asharding. What are they?

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 11:15AM
asharding

Hi writersblock,

They are from potterybarn.com I looked at ones from Restoration Hardware as well but they were too bulky for the scale of the bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sussex Tube Sconce

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 5:57PM
writersblock

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Sponsored Products
Tiffany-style Geometric Mission-style Hanging Lamp
Overstock.com
Destiny Oushak Rug 9' x 12' - LIGHT PINK
$5,699.00 | Horchow
Kenroy Home Lamps Rowley 63 in. Mahogany Bronze Floor Lamp 20689MBRZ
Home Depot
Congress 29 1/2"W Clear Glass Oil Rubbed Bronze Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Harper Two-Light Polished Chrome Wall Sconce
$250.00 | Bellacor