I've never used the Self-Clean in my Capital Precision...

clax66October 26, 2012

I confess. We bought our Capital Precision four years ago and paid extra for the self-clean model. But I confess that I clean the old fashioned way because I've read horror stories from people who have used the self-cleaning function in their own (not Capital) ovens only to find it damaged their finishes.

My sister says I'm a wuss. Does anybody have any advice or words of encouragement to alleviate my fears? I really need to tackle this project this weekend.

thank you,

Mira

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

It's an all-gas range with not much electronics so you'll probably be fine. I have a DCS all-gas self-clean (DCS was founded by the people who now own Capital) and I've never had a problem with the self-clean. It would have been a good idea though to try it while it was still under warranty.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 1:08AM
dadoes

You should not run the self-clean function if you have been cleaning it with "regular" oven cleaner. Noxious fumes can be emitted by chemical residue at the very high heat (900F+) of the self-clean cycle.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:34AM
rwiegand

Should I confess? I cleaned the oven on our Viking about three months after I got it and then not again for the next 15 years of 5x a week use. As far as I can tell, nothing bad happened. Stuff that spilled or splattered quickly burned off while preheating the oven for pizza leaving a residue that is easily wiped out. The oven developed an even "patina" that was not unattractive, a pretty uniform brown. Time that might have been sent worrying about what the walls fo the oven looked like was productively spent elsewhere, no exposure to toxic chemicals, and no one but me ever came around to inspect the appearance of the inside.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 11:56AM
clax66

Thanks for your responses:) I've never used the oven cleaner sprays for same reason; fear of damage. But I'm going forward with the self-clean ad will leave my kitchen windows open:)
Mira

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 12:51PM
jakvis

Just turn on your range hood to exhaust fumes out of the house.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
hood suggestions for 36" 6 burner bluestar?
i have searched til my fingers are blue for a 36"...
lilmagil1
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Miele Coffee Machine - CVA 6800 vs CVA 6401
The cva 6800 is m touch controls (swipe screen), CVA6401...
wcutiew
Need feedback on KOBE Range Hood
Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The...
bblakeney
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Sponsored Products
Custom Archie Upholstered Bed
Home Decorators Collection
Veneto Luce Montana Two-Light Brushed Nickel Bath Fixture
$398.00 | Bellacor
Neptune | Zen Activ-Air Tub
$4,282.50 | YBath
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Clarington 52 in. Indoor Gilded Mahogany Ceilin
Home Depot
2-Pc. Teak Serving Spoons in Lime
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Ero S Swivel Armchair
Lightology
Kartell | Plastics Seating
YLiving.com
Hudson Valley Lighting | Clinton 1 Light Wall Sconce
$214.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™