question about adding a different browser

casiAugust 30, 2012

Hi! I use IE9 currently. I have purchased some on-line sewing classes and my current internet connection (Wild Blue) is not fast enough to watch the videos easily, although it seems like later at night I can watch them. It was suggested to download Google Chrome. Can I do that and what happens to IE? Will it add a lot to my hard drive? This is an area that I know nothing about. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Install it from Google site, but watch the install and watch for the check box 'Make google my default browser' or any other extra that might appear that you probably dont want.

Its maybe 20mb so unless your hard drive is already low on space, its not really big. But its about the same speed as IE9 for most people.

IF Your internet speed is slow during normal hours .. Chrome isnt gonna fix that.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 6:37PM
casi

Thanks

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 8:54PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I E stays exactly the same, you are not affecting it. To use IE just click on the IE icon on the desktop, to use Chrome or firefox or any other browsers just click on the icon for it on the desktop. You can have more than one open at a time if you want.
It is just another program. I don't think it will affect the hard drive they are not to large.
Whether it will be faster depends on why it's slow. If it is your Internet Speed connection then it won't matter.
What you can do that might help is start the video then pause it while it finishes loading, you can see the progress bar, then start viewing it, that allows the buffer to catch up.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 1:22AM
breenthumb

"What you can do that might help is start the video then pause it while it finishes loading, you can see the progress bar, then start viewing it, that allows the buffer to catch up.

I did that a lot when I was on dial-up and it worked well. When things were really large/long I'd start it then minimize it (hit the minus key up top) and you can still use the computer while it loads. It will be waiting at the bottom of your screen when you are ready.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 1:55PM
urlee

"LOL" NOT funny!

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
need help finding laptop/notebook
I hope I am in the right place.. sure wish they would...
sugar_fl
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
Sponsored Products
Whitecraft by Woodard Chatham Run Small Rocker - S525804
Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd 4 Leg Dining Table with Glass...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Bella Cera 7 Piece Rectangular Dining Table Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Homeware Alloy Accent Pillows - Set of 2 - HWP011-18-107ALL
$79.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Oppulente Bar & Stool Set - 67500-52/67504-52
Great Furniture Deal
Henri De Rivel Pro Buffalo Dressage Adjust To Fit Saddle - 2056-R04S17
Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Sofa and Loveseat Set in Green and...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Dresser - 57050-51
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™