Multipoint Hardware Question re French Doors

gbsim1August 14, 2012

I'm confused about hardware for our multipoint french doors and hope someone has some insight.

We don't need keyed on the exterior as they lead out to an upper deck.

On the active door we need a thumbturn on the inside.... but what does the thumbturn actually do? Keep the handle from rotating or throw a deadbolt?

Since you lift the handle to lock, what's the thumbturn doing?

And my big question is what doe we choose for the secondary door in the pair? Does it also get a thumbturn on the interior? Lifting up the handle locks it and it can't be opened unless the other door is opened so .....

This shouldn't be so confusing!!! They're only door handles!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kfhl

not an expert here, but I have multipoint locks on my Andersen patio doors. Mine were purchased as a set. One side has a thumb turn and one does not. When you pull the handle up on the door the top and bottom bolts slide into place and the thumb turn throws the deadbolt at the handle. It is not locked if you only lift the handle - the thumb turn keeps it all in the locked position. Hope that makes sense.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:26AM
gbsim1

Thanks! Does the exterior knob rotate on your side without a thumbturn?

Rocky Mountain offers a set with a key (Entry), a set with a thumbturn & plain outside (Patio), a set that's just passage and a dummy set.

It seems that I might need sets both with thumbturns for each door?

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 11:19AM
kfhl

no, just on thumbturn. Lift the handle on the door without the thumb turn to set the top and bottom bolts, then set the door with the tumbturn by raising its lever, turn the thumb turn and that turns the deadbolt that locks the two doors together. All multipoint doors have levers on both the inside and the outside - the levers on each door will raise at the same time when you set it - no knobs. It looks like you want the patio set.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Question about screen porch
First, I'm ONLY thinking about the porch right now....
mrspete
How to cut back on cost
We have 6 kids, 4 still at home. We want a large house...
mommabearof5
Modifying Master Bedroom Entry
This plan includes a nice hallway that runs across...
burbmomoftwo
Interior Doors - any experience with this company?
Does anyone have any experience with solidhardwooddoors.com...
numbersjunkie
Purchasing Items during build?
For those who have gone through the building process...
njbuilding143
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™