LIGHTWEIGHT custom panel fridge recommendations?

tnsongbirdSeptember 23, 2012

We're about to break ground on a new house, and I've been researching appliances. (Our old house had all GE Monogram appliances and I HATED every one. Never again!) Ours was a custom-panel fridge and, while beautiful, I found it so heavy to open the doors. I have a nagging bulging disc in my back and tiny movements like opening a heavy fridge door can really aggravate it. We are in a rental home right now and even though it's just a cheap fridge in this house - I love how lightweight & easy the doors are! They virtually fly open and it's great.

I've looked on this forum & online with no luck - I'm trying to figure out what the lightest-weight rated side-by-side paneled fridge is? I would really like to do this type of look again without having to compromise on the added heavy weight. I would love for it to be energy-star, too.

Advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

This question is easy to answer;Liebherr.

Some don't like Liebherr for the their "lightweigh cheezy feeling doors" because many equate quality with weight.

If you were to choose the SS option it would be quite light.

I have heavy thick maple panels on mine. So my fridge is somewhat heavy compared to a standard fridge but much lighter than a Sub-Zero,Viking,Monogram, et al with the same panel.

Ulimately how heavy the doors are depend on which panels you choose. There are several places that will do custom panels like copper or chalkboard which would probably weight less and look custom.

But if you want them to match cabinets and look fitted well......

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 3:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tnsongbird

thank you! I was looking at the Liebherrs per your recommendation and am now obsessed with the look of the full fridge and full freezer. I don't see a dealer in my area though... hmmmm....

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
DCS Gas range review
DCS gas range review
brett_champagne
De Dietrich induction cooktop
Is anyone around that has any data about De Deitrich...
chinchette
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™