Mouse stopped working

Jean BoAugust 2, 2013

Running windows 7 and mouse just stops working. I go into the system and go to a different restore point and it generally starts working again. Well not is time, I am out of tricks. What can I do to get things working again? Fortunately, I have a HP Touch Screen and can still work on the pc. What can I do to fix this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

There's a peephole on the bottom of the mouse that a light shines through to detect movement of the unit. If a dust bunny gets in the hole (happens all the time), it blocks the sensor. Try blowing in the hole.

If that doesn't work, a new mouse can be purchased for less money than you'd spend going to a movie. Get one.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 5:05PM
DA_Mccoy

Battery?

DA

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 5:37PM
Jean Bo

I got it guys, I don't know what ultimately worked but it's working again... at least till next time. This is an on going problem..

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 6:03PM
owbist

Check the manufacturer for updated drivers. Might work wonders.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 8:24PM
Janey - formerly jane2

I was going to suggest changing the mouse's battery, same as damccoy. I know I've been panicked twice over the past few months and new batteries were the cure.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 11:57PM
SnidelyWhiplash

Replacing the battery is a good idea, so long as it's a mouse with a battery. That would be a cordless one.

Owbist, I've never seen a case where a working driver went south - ie, worked one day, not the next. Have you? Usually once a functioning driver is on the job, it continues to work. That is, unless, the OP is saying that it never worked. Which would be quite rare indeed for a mouse (in my experience), especially since the PnP capabilities mostly work so well now.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 2:36AM
Jean Bo

Snidely, please do a search on web.... "After update mouse stops working" "There are tons of post. I called Logitech and they refered me to Microsoft. I don't know what the issue is but some updates take my mouse out of commission. It happens often to me... This time I got jammed up cause my restore points were not doing the trick. But I got it working now... Don't know what the issue is
but its a pain...

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 8:32AM
DA_Mccoy

My crystal ball is off on Sundays so it would be nice if you shared what you did to alleviate your concern. You probably did but for others, be sure to do a current restore point after a concern resolution.

DA

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 11:41AM
zep516

Today's operating systems no longer require drivers for standard mouse interoperability. Therefore, if your computer has a standard one or two button mouse and you are using an operating system developed within the last three years, you don't need to install any drivers and it is very unlikely that your mouse will have any driver updates available.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000548.htm

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 11:42AM
SnidelyWhiplash

Jazzy, I said what I said. I've never seen a case where a working mouse went south. Shoot, anything's possible. My comment wasn't based on a Google search, that's information everyone has and should be anyone's first stop when there's a problem. That info was there for you, not for me.

Stopping Windows updates and cementing use of a obsolete version so that a $10 mouse can function is a very unwise approach. I'll stick to my first recommendation, buy a new mouse and keep your Windows installation current with all updates.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Turning of/on touch pad on laptop
For reasons I can not determine my Gateway NE71B W8...
jerry_nj
error message
All of o sudden when I started up my machine this PM...
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
need help finding laptop/notebook
I hope I am in the right place.. sure wish they would...
sugar_fl
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™