new issue now with Windows 7

loraleeAugust 12, 2014

I did a system restore because after using the Ccleaner I lost all of my icons on the right side of the task bar. I now have my speaker, clock, date, etc etc back.

But....

Now when I get an e-mail that has an image included I can't see the image.

One e-mail had a link to a site and then nothing opens. I know it was an image that should have opened as my friend said it was.

This is what I see. Just that little icon in the top left of the page.

I must be missing a software that would open these. Would it be adobe? As Adobe Reader has now changed to XI

This post was edited by loralee on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 16:03

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

And this is why there's no reason or need to arbitrarily run a registry cleaner. They're often too aggressive and break things.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 4:24PM
mikie_gw

Might want to restart your computer if you haven't already.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 5:49PM
loralee

Yep, I have restarted it.

What sort of software opens the images? I have irfan view which opens some I am not sure what the other ones are.

Irfan view is working for other graphics.

Some of the pictures in the e-mails will open but really slowly. Is there a way to find out what is opening the ones that do open?

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:32PM
mikie_gw

How do you read email ? is it online email like at http://mail.yahoo.com ??

What browser do you use ?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:38AM
iris_gal

Mikey, when she did a system restore would it roll back to a prior update on say, Adobe flash?

Lora ~ my sister sent some more pics. Wouldn't open!!! Turned out they were in a Canon raw format. I had to download Irfanview's plugins. If your email shows a filename check the extension.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:16AM
owbist

Isn't Windows 7 similar to Windows 8 in that you need to right click on either the blank square or on a line that appears across the top of the screen then click 'Download images' in the pop up menu?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:07AM
mikie_gw

There is a new flash player out in past day or two. I updated it in firefox.. windows 8 auto updates it with the 2nd Tuesday normal schedule .. microsoft updates flash in IE11/win8.

So it seems like flash updates the day or so before the Microsoft update tues is the norm now. I disable adobe autoupdates in taskScheduler - its default is check once per hour. Too dang much checking for something that never seems to update when a new flash player is out.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:21AM
whatever6441

loralee wrote:

Some of the pictures in the e-mails will open but really slowly. Is there a way to find out what is opening the ones that do open?

As @mikie asked it's important to know what email software you're using, and if it's browser-based email, what browser you're using. Are you saying the images are displaying in your email program / browser, not in some other program like Irfan view?

Do you have any idea what format the images are in?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:31AM
marie_ndcal

I haven't run CCleaner yet on my windows 7, but have noticed that when I get my email, I usually have to click on the tiny bar on the top of the item to see pictures. But when you ran the program, did you check or uncheck the programs you wanted cleaned? That is important. I am still learning 7 and do have a good book from Barnes and Noble called Step by Step--Windows 7 by Preppernau and Cox from Microsoft. Comes with a CD --haven't used it yet.I have used the book several times and it did help me.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 11:27AM
iris_gal

Sorry. I was thinking attached images and perhaps it is imbedded images Loralee is asking about.

This what my attached images look like.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:34PM
loralee

I am using Firefox. So far today things seem to be running ok.

The pictures were not a camera photos but images of something found on a website by my friend. Usually she or I will find a cute idea to craft and will send a picture of it. No problem in the years or days past everything always opens.

Even when my friend had sent me a link to a site all I got was that blank page. Maybe firefox caught up with the new Adobe reader.

Iris I don't get anything like this in my e-mails. The images just always open.

On my list is to buy a pictorial Windows 7 book. I could really use it. I thought I may do ok with this new widows but there are some things that is different or sofware like my music software that will not work as it was outdated and no longer being made. Still have to work this issue out.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
System Restore on new windows 7 need password?
I just bought an Acer windows 7 tower and when I wanted...
urlee
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™