mac latop battery ???

jannaz_gwAugust 7, 2012

My 3 year old MacBook laptop battery appears to be losing or not taking a charge. I noticed when I clicked on the per-centage icon, BATTERY IS NOT CHARGING and POWER SOURCE: POWER ADAPTER are grayed out. Could that be the problem, and if so, how do it fix it?

I almost never run the laptop on battery, nor does it power any other devices. My system is Leopard 10.5.8. It's the original battery.

Thanks,

Jann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

If you're not a handy fix-it person, the best approach may be to simply take it to an Apple store. They can easily determine if the problem is the adapter or the battery and fix whatever is required. While most other laptop manufacturers use snap on/snap off batteries, Apple persists in putting their batteries inside the case where they are not easily accessible by most users.

If you need a new battery, your having kept it on AC power may have contributed to a shortened life. PC batteries last longer with "exercise". If your normal usage pattern keeps it plugged in, you still need to run it on the battery from time to time. By unpluging it and running down the battery every few weeks (and then recharging it), you can extend the battery's life.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 4:22PM
mike_kaiser_gw

There's a little light on the MagSafe adapter where it connects to the laptop. It should be green when the battery is charged and orange when it it charging. Is the light on?

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 11:54PM
jannaz_gw

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, the light is green.

I'm still curious about whether the BATTERY NOT CHARGING and POWER SOURCE should be grayed out.

-J

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:20AM
mike_kaiser_gw

If the light is green, then there is no need for the batter to be charging.

This is what mine looks like...

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
Someone have a link for free Chrome browser?
I have been having troubles downloading files from...
shaddy101
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
Question about Google cache
Hi folks, I have posted a thread in the Kitchens forum, because...
mudhouse
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™