How to get messages to mark as read

labradors_gwAugust 28, 2013

I've been a member here for a month or so.

When I read messages they sometimes turn purple to indicate that I've read them. Other times they do not. I am using the back button. I just read two messages, one after the other. One turned to purple the other did not.

I cleared my cache and everything went back to blue. I logged on to the forum, but that didn't make any difference.

I am using Explorer and Windows 7.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

If you are you using FF and Ccleaner remove the check mark from internet history under applications/firefox. With other software it would be in a different place.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:43PM
Richard (chuggerguy)

"...using the back button. I just read two messages, one after the other. One turned to purple the other did not. ..."

I really don't know but suspect that when you used the "back button", the link that had not turned purple was the one you just "backed" out of?

If so, just out of curiosity, next time that happens, you might try refreshing (after backing out) to see if the link changes then.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:23PM
labradors_gw

Thanks chuggerguy! It could be something as simple as that! I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Linda

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:20PM
labradors_gw

Hi Chuggerguy!

I have been using the back button and sometimes the messages reads as "read". When it doesn't I have been selecting "return to forum" instead and that works - sometimes on the second try.

Thanks again!
Linda

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 10:36AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Are you familiar with opening links 'in a new tab' instead of just clicking on them and then after reading, having to use the 'back' button?

I find opening links in a new tab, and then X-ing them closed to be faster than using the back button.

In fact, when going to a forum, and in reading the thread titles, I will often choose those I want to read and open numerous ones, all in new tabs. After reading them, I then X them out one by one.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:02AM
Richard (chuggerguy)

I do a lot of center-clicking.

Links, bookmarks and even the navigation icons(Home, Back, Refresh).

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 1:01PM
albert_135

I've a one-time observation that may be a tangent related to this thread. There are about 20 subjects on GW that I see as ''red'' (vcolor?) because I click on them almost daily. Today one, and only one, of the 20 or so was not red.

[Somewhere, long ago I found a place to set vcolor to expire after 21 days of inactivity. That no longer works for me. Once visited, always visited unless I go to history and delete it.]

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™