How do I determine if I need to upgrade windows?

albert_135August 7, 2011

As noted earlier I have lost features on one computer only - both FF and IE.

My log-in frames are missing on some sites and some Netflix features are missing. I powered it down overnight and rebooted. Upgraded Malwarebites, Ad-aware, and Avast and ran these and restarted. Still lost features on Netflix and another site.

How do I determine if I need an upgrade to my XP? Do I need a newer windows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

Your problem sounds like java or flash type of issue, but it's weird that it occurs across 2 browsers indicating a windows issue. You could try a system restore to a time before the issue occurred this would address a windows file issue if present.

Lets face it XP is old and it's certainly recommend to up-grade to a current operating system like Windows 7.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 3:32PM
grandms

If your hardware is up to the job.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 9:32PM
mike_kaiser_gw

There's lots of things that could cause those kinds of problems, including something on Netflix's end.

An upgrade may be indicated when there are enough new features in the operating system to justify the expense of the new operating system. Of course, my definition of "justify" may not be quite the same as yours.

You also need to ensure that your computer can meet the requirements of a new operating system. Generally speaking any computer bought with Windows XP is not likely to have sufficient memory or processing power to make running Windows 7 enjoyable.

You might want to consider backing up critical data and doing a fresh install of XP. Cleaning out the old garbage can make a world of difference in the performance of an older computer. Plus there's no financial investment, just time.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 12:18AM
llaatt22

Piecemeal upgrades with new hardware and operating systems on old computers is usually a waste of money. Better option is to keep an eye out for used or refurbished equipment that came with Vista or Windows 7 when new.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Win 8 network settings
I need to export my network settings to a flash drive...
carolssis
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™