Can you install an internal blower in a Prestige high capacity?

new_morningSeptember 11, 2013

Ahh!! Tired of going around in circles, so hopefully some out there has the answer!

Looking at the 40" Prestige high capacity liner/insert UIBTF40NB (tee pee style), to go inside a custom hood: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/UIBTF40NB.html

I LIKE that it has more coverage (depth 22.5") vs. the Prestige power pack liner (15"), but only the power pack comes pre-installed with a blower. The user manual link online recommends using an external/in-line blower, but since my hood will vent immediate to an exterior wall (~1 ft) it does not make sense to pay the steep price for a remote/inline blower that will not help much with the sound (in my situation).

Pg. 2 of the user manual says: "Either an interior, in-line or remote blower may be used with Prestige hood liners and power pack inserts. Other blowers CANNOT be substituted. Select the series best suited for your application. Units labeled "LINERS" are for use with in-line blowers or remote blowers."

I remember reading on a thread here that Trevor "specially installed" an internal blower on the high-capacity liner for someone. Is that right? Is it fine to do this, and should anyone who is experienced putting together hoods be able to do this? Or will it invalidate the warranty?

I tried emailing Trevor about it, but haven't heard back :(

FYI, the price of an internal blower (Prestige IBPL "Internal Blower Kit for use with any PL Hood") is $350, versus the Prestige inline or external, both ~$1200. Crazy!

So my choices:

1. Prestige high capacity with awesome depth coverage, with more affordable internal blower (if possible to install)

2. Prestige high capacity with awesome depth coverage, with super expensive external/inline blower (I think this is way too expensive, no thanks)

3. Prestige power pack, only 15" depth coverage, but pre-installed blower

4. ModernAire PSL340 (1200cfm) liner - I think 22.5" depth also. Price is comparable to power pack.

I also read somewhere that although Prestige and ModernAire are neck to neck in performance, since I'm getting a liner, the Prestige has a slight edge; ModernAire would be the choice for fit/finish (if I were to purchase a full hood). If I'm just splitting hairs, please let me know and I'll just make a decision already!! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

I have no data or experience with any of these, but I have to speculate that a $350 power pack and a 1200 external blower are very likely not equal in flow rate, and that an external blower that had the same performance as the $350 power pack would be considerably less money.

I have no idea what exactly a warranty is covering on a liner, weld failure?

I see no functional reason why any quality external blower shouldn't be used with a liner given some match between the blower interface and the duct from the liner. I would expect that Broan/NuTone would sell something compatible.

But given your plea, I suggest contacting Trevor.

With respect to the quote: "Either an interior, in-line or remote blower may be used with Prestige hood liners and power pack inserts. Other blowers CANNOT be substituted." I am having a hard time thinking up an "other" blower option that is not one of "interior, in-line or remote."

kas

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:54AM
new_morning

Ok, thanks for your input, kas. If your assumption about the $350 internal blower being of lesser/mediocre quality is correct, I think it might just be easiest to go with the ModernAire, since I don't want to pay the steep price of a separate blower, it comes pre-installed, and it's the larger size depth.

Unless Trevor believes the high capactiy Prestige (with internal blower) is a better choice overall. Will try one more time to get ahold of him.

Thanks!!

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 12:25PM
weissman

Why don't you call Prestige and ask them your questions directly?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Can a Whirpool wrs342fiab00 Refrigerator use water filter bypass ?
I have an undersink filter connected to this fridge,...
edge
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
need help - with Miele DW and Ikea Sektion panel
Hi All, Getting a Sektion kitchen. I want a Miele...
Kathy Rohde
New cooktop slightly smaller than old cutout in granite
I have a 36 " gas cooktop in my granite countertop...
chirs1
Need a second oven/micro combo for island installation/under counter
We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were...
ksdeclue
Sponsored Products
Drop Ceiling Tiles: Shanko Building Materials 320 Copper Plated Steel 2 ft. x 2
$39.96 | Home Depot
14-Piece Knife Block Set
$69.99 | zulily
Access Lighting InteLED 780LEDSTR-ALU/4K Track Light - 780LEDSTR-ALU/4K
$64.00 | Hayneedle
Scattered Crystal Sconce
$485.00 | Horchow
Uttermost regency villa tesio 23" wall clock
Origin Crafts