One or Two Layer Subfloor?

mark_gAugust 11, 2008

Wd it be unusual to have our framer put down two layers of plywood over the joists (one ¾" and one ½"); that way, the ½" layer can be removed at exterior thresholds to get doors to fit with finished flooring a lot better?

Also, it seems the joints between the two layers could be staggered to give more rigidity to the floor, too. Various Sturd-i-floor 4x8 panel makers claim their products replace subfloor and underlayment in one product, but is a two-layer system better (specifically, will it offer a better linear deflectance value?)

And how does one achieve a squeak-free floor if using a two-layer system?

Thanks for feedback, Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mightyanvil

What is the finish flooring?

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 8:27PM
mark_g

A large part of the flooring will be ½ or ¾ stone tile, part ceramic / some ½ porcelain tile, balance ¾ hardwood. We want to achieve a barrier & threshold-free floor t-out -- no visible or discernable changes in floor elevations, and reduce exterior door thresholds.

Oh, and staple underfloor radiant heat.

--Mark

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 8:39PM
worthy

A 1 1/4" subfloor will be overkill for hardwood, just adequate for stone. (I'm assuming at least 2x10 joists @ 16" o.c.)

But it will be necessary for what you're trying to achieve.

Instead of doubling up on plywood, I've used Ditra decoupling underlayment. To reduce squeaking floors, I glue, nail and screw down all subfloors. I-beams instead of dimensional joists would also help.

I went to great efforts on one place to ensure the various flooring surfaces were level. When I sold it, I was so proud of this detail. Buyers could care less, so I don't do it anymore.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Finished basement infloor heat in MN
We are working to trim back costs on our upcoming build....
Mini Soda
Inexpensive "build on your lot" builders?
I've been researching local builders online and came...
olivesmom
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
exterior elevation feedback
Concerned about the eaves/overhangs, are they too "flared"...
msmith110705
help, is main gable too flat/not enough dimension?
last chance to change it. Will this front elevation...
msmith110705
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™