Need Help with Hood Blower/Insert-CROSSPOST

twinmommy77September 7, 2012

I posted this in kitchens and someone suggested I post it here as well.

We purchased a wood hood that matched our new kitchen cabinets. The hood comes with a liner, but we did not buy the blower insert, or whatever it is we need, through the cabinet company because I know they jack those prices up sky high.

So now we are trying to figure out what it is we need to buy to complete it. Just looking over the Omega National Products website (who manufactured the wood hood) it seems we need a blower insert and a housing unit. The website also mentions their hoods are built with Broan blowers in mind, but does that mean we are stuck with only Broan or should we be able to use any brand?

And if we can use any brand what dimensions do we need to be looking at to figure out what blower will fit?

It's a 36" wood hood, but I'm not sure if that matters or if we just need to be looking at the size of the opening in the liner.

This is the one area of our kitchen both my husband and I feel like we are just clueless and not finding clear answers.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

One question you need to answer before selecting a hood is what type of cooking device is it going over? Pro ranges will require higher CFMs. If you take a peek in your range/rangetop/cooktop's manual, it should give a minimum CFM recommendation for the hood.

Next question, is the vent pipe already in place in the wall? If so, what size/circumference is it? The circumference will also help determine which hood you can use.

Are you dealing with an appliance store for your other appliances? They should be able to assist you and point you in the right direction. If you're using a chain store for your appliances, you may need to seek out the advice of a locally owned appliance store or a Ferguson's showroom if there is one nearby. They are typically better equipped to answer your questions.

Hope this helps!

    Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's not a pro range. It's a Maytag electric double oven with a smoothtop (5 elements). I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything indicating a CFM. We actually purchased it directly from Whirlpool (by phone or internet) through some employee discount program at my husband's work so we haven't been working with an appliance store.

As for the vent pipe no, it's not in place yet. There was no prior ventilation system.

Thanks for the info. Maybe we will try and check out a local appliance store and see what we can find out.


    Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 10:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You might as well take advantage of not yet obtaining an internal fan and use a roof-mounted blower. This will somewhat reduce the noise present at the hood.


    Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the hood was meant to hold a Broan insert it should also fit Best and Zephyr products as they all use the same footprint for their insert "power packs". Check out the Best PK series and Zephyr Tornado series.

    Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 12:44PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
54" Zephyr Monsoon II vs. Best by Broan 54" Potenza - Clear Winner??
GW, Ahhh - my favorite place to be the past 12 months...
Andrew K.
48 inch Dual Fuel Range and single wall oven Choices
I am glad I found this forum by accident if not I wont...
Need a second oven/micro combo for island installation/under counter
We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were...
Miele 643g dishwasher
I bought a house that has this dishwasher. I do not...
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™