Microwave with removable carousel

ejnutmegSeptember 7, 2013

Hi. We need to purchase a countertop microwave oven, but we have one requirement that seems hard to meet.

My wife has serious nerve damage, and she has trouble being around anything that makes noise. One thing that she can't stand is the noise that the big glass trays -- carousels, I guess they're called -- make when they're spinning around while the microwave is on. With our current one (by Sharp), I had to yank the carousel off the spindle/gear (breaking the spindle in the process) before she was able to use it. The Sharp has been good overall, but I'd really like to not have to do that again.

I've found exactly one microwave oven that allows you to simply remove the tray from the spindle. It's a Kenmore, but the local outlet can't seem to order one for us (they claim to be at the mercy of what HQ sends), and the online reviews of it are fairly indifferent.

We need to stay with a countertop microwave. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Most of the noise from the MW comes from the magnetron and it's cooling fan. I've never had a turntable that made any significant noise. If you did, perhaps you had a defective one. I suggest you visit an appliance retailer with a coffee cup and some water and listen for yourself before automatically ruling them out.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:51PM
sjhockeyfan325

Our GE Spacemaker had a carousel that was easily removed.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 12:24AM
weedmeister

I've never had one that wasn't easy to lift out for cleaning, metal or glass. Any noise was from the little wheels that the plate rotated upon. They get dirty and squeek.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 12:54AM
xedos

A microwave drawer has no turntable and neither do the speed ovens from miele.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 11:19AM
cat_mom

Our GE Spacemaker II has not only a removable turntable, but also has an on/off button for the turntable as well.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 11:40AM
BeverleyMYoung

I also own the GE Spacemaker II. The on/off button for the turntable is exactly what you guys need.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:32AM
lee676

For a long time the countertop GE Spacemaker II microwaves didn't even have a rotating turntable (I had one, and it cooked as evenly as MWs with turntables). I think it was the last holdout not to include one, except drawers/speed ovens/specialty units. You could probably find a used one cheap on CL.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Cook and Dine teppanyaki users
Hi All, I have another thread currently running about...
twobelles
Does Anyone have the Wolf Range with a Griddle?
I've got one and I find the grease doesn't drip into...
sbedelman
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
ge 36 inch duel fuel monogram cannot be repaired
After ten years my GE Monogram has been rendered useless,...
Mb
New KitchenAid launch in April 2015
Hi, everyone. Sorry if this has already been discussed....
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™