Windows Updates - Failed

msm84August 8, 2012

I give up....I have tried all the suggestions on the Microsoft help site and still a no go. First I admit I was way behind doing the updates (48 total) on my 8 year old HP laptop. I do have both sp2 and sp3 installed and have always kept the laptop in good shape with never a problem, but this has me stumped!

The 2 updates in question are:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656353)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656370)

Both come up with an 0x643 error. I have tried 3 times to download these updates and every time I get the same "failed". Checking my updates I do have the latest versions so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. Any suggestions?

TIA

MsMary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

aI would not worry about those 2. If those are the only ones.
A good practice with that many is to break them down to 10-12 at a time then let it reboot go get more etc less chance of problems.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 1:50PM
msm84

Ravencajun, Thank you and I will just hide them if they come up again. And I did do the updates 10 at a time, rebooted before I downloaded 10 more. I'm proud to say I learned that here ((grin))

Again thank you for your prompt answer!

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 2:45PM
nearandwest

Did you try to run the Microsoft "Fix It" tool for Windows Updates?

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 3:22PM
SnidelyWhiplash

I agree, nothing to lose sleep about.

Look at it this way: you say you were fine before. Now that you've done those updates, the likelihood is 46 chances out of 48 that you're much better off now. Good odds!

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 4:50PM
Richard (chuggerguy)

I have tried all the suggestions on the Microsoft help site and still a no go.

Partly because I'm curious and partly because it might help someone else, even if it didn't help you, did you try this specific Microsoft Fixit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 5:24PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

You are welcome and trying the fix it would not hurt, some time they work.
Of all the windows updates the.net ones are the ones that tend to have problems.

I follow a guide by Susan Bradley which she does every time new updates come out. She gives her suggestions as to what to install, wait or skip. I see her quite often skip those.

If you subscribe to the Windows secrets newsletter you can find Susan list there.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 8:47PM
msm84

chuggerguy you asked:

"Partly because I'm curious and partly because it might help someone else, even if it didn't help you, did you try this specific Microsoft Fixit?"

My answer is YES. I did download and run the fix and it was still a "no go". I thought maybe the problem came from the fact it was a download from April and then in June there was an update for that update. Just maybe the newest update may have cancelled out the earlier one. Just a guess on my part, but when it comes to computers that explanation of "guess" should work *lol*

Thanks everyone!!

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 10:22AM
nearandwest

The way that I finally got those particular security updates (KB2656353 and KB2656370) to install was that I went into my Programs (in Control Panel) and uninstalled the .NET Framework programs. Then I went back to Windows Updates and re-installed the .NET Framework programs and their associated security updates. Everything installed without a problem.

Apparently there was some issue with Windows Defender related to these particular updates. The clients anti-virus was not up-to-date and after getting MSE installed and updated, I performed the above-mentioned process.

I did this for a client who was using the Windows Vista OS.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 11:48AM
DA_Mccoy

I have found NET updates to be a little tricky when assisting other users. One thing that I have found to often work is to install them individually starting with the lowest Knowledge Base number.

DA

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 6:16PM
nearandwest

Yes, I have done that also, and it does seem to work.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
I-Pad WiFi question
Wife has 13 month old I-Pad mini. I also have the other...
chas045
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
Installing a free Antivirus with Malware included - recommendations
I am setting up my mom's new Asus Win 8.1 laptop. She...
debo_2006
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
Sponsored Products
Regency Faux Silk Taffeta Stripe Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 84
$63.95 | Bellacor
Lush Decor Lucia White 84-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
It's All Good Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
Staunch Dining Table in Silver Clear
$749.00 | LexMod
Each 96"L Curtain
$80.00 | Horchow