Tiling floor and wall

Mary TownsendNovember 8, 2013

We are tiling both the floor and the wall behind the toilet. One friend had said that it was important to have the floor laid before tiling the wall. Is it really that important or not?

I'm asking because we already tiled the wall, but we haven't tiled the floor yet. Do I need to tear off the bottom row of tiles, lay the floor and then cut that bottom row to fit back on?

Thanks

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Where I have seen tiled walls and floors, there is a base board installed. Either wood or tile. The wall and floor just don't butt to each other. It would look unfinished to me.

-Babka

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 12:36AM
theanimala

Well, I would have to say I only see a base board installed 50% of the time where the tile wall hits the tile floor. Check out pictures yourself on Houzz. That being said you generally do want the floor to go down first so the wall tile sits on top of the floor tile. Remember you don't want to grout that seem but rather use a matching caulk. I bet if the tile is properly laid and with a nice clean caulk line you will probably never see any differerence.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:12AM
Mary Townsend

Thanks all.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 8:45PM
martinkk333

JMHO, but I think it might matter more inside the shower (or a wet area) where you would definitely want the floor tile to go down first. That way, water that flows down the wall, will flow on top of the floor tile, not into the caulk line where the water might pool and soak in. Hope this makes sense. Just seems like in wet areas, the water would be shed better by the walls being on top the floor. Like theanimala, I agree that otherwise, you probably won't notice a difference.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:09PM
Roberta.Madison

This has actually been an age-old debate. :) Those who opt to do the wall first argue that doing the floor last keeps you from having to worry about debris falling onto those fresh tiles while you work on the wall. Additionally, it lets you walk on bare concrete while working the wall, instead of having to step on newly-installed floor tiles too soon and worry about loosening them.

For wall-first practitioners, they start on the second layer of wall tile, to allow for any height adjustments that might occur when the floor is tiled.

Hope this helps. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Debate at ContractorTalk

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 9:36PM
ineffablespace

It also depends on if you are using cove base tile, which traditionally sits flush with the floor tile at the interface of the coved floor portion of the base tile, not on top of the tile.

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
New build master bath layout help please
I’m a little stuck, and looking for ideas. In the...
am_e
Sponsored Products
Carlton Carbon Black Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Carlisle 7-pc. Rectangular Outdoor Dining Set in Gray Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
3d Interlace White Carrera Marble Tile
$15.99 | TileBar
Bath Authority DreamLine Vitreo-X Frameless Pivot Shower Door and SlimLine Singl
Modern Bathroom
Ornate Mirror Tiled Hollywood Fashion Tray
| Dot & Bo
SomerTile 11x11-in Quarry Green Moss Porcelain Mosaic Tile (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Each 55"W x 96"L Palisade Tile Curtain
$135.00 | Horchow
Elegant Gold Silver & Wood Chess Pieces - 1540
$513.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™