Laying Tile Advice Needed

BrianKKNovember 25, 2013

Hi all,
I've been reading posts and have used much of the advice I read here in the project thus far. Yesterday I hit an issue that I'm not sure about. I have 12X12 marble tiles and am accenting the tiles with 1 / 2 x 1 / 2 mosaic tiles. Where the two types of tile meet is a metal border.

The mosaics are slightly thinner (by 1 / 8 inch or 3 / 16 ) than the marble. What is the right way to get the mosaics flush with the 12 x 12 marble?

I was thinking a 1 / 4 durock backer behind the mosaics. ??? In the picture you can see the border I am talking about.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

I had this issue on a floor a few years ago, with some trim pieces that were thinner than the main tile. I cut a piece of Ditra (~1/8" thick) and used that to "shim" out the thinner tile. I had Ditra as the underlayment for the whole floor, so it was a double layer of Ditra.

Worked great.

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 8:44AM
BrianKK

Weedy, thanks. Sounds like you did what I was thinking - except I used durock as an underlayment.

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 5:26AM
OldTimeCarpenter1

Depends on how much offset adjustment you need. For 1/8th inch or less, just use a thicker thinset and set it by eye. I hope you pre-sealed that marble!!!!

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Tub surround - replace or embrace?
We're remodeling our MB on a tight $5k. DIY'ing everything...
alidanae
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Anyone have knobs for shower door?
Do you like them? I have a narrow shower so I am considering...
risforremodel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™