Installing wider tub? How hard?

lazy_gardensNovember 3, 2009

We currently have a 30-inch tub in a 36-inch alcove.

Tub and shower piping is being replaced. How hard is it to install a wider tub? Are their drain and slab issues?

Are there any that can extend out of the alcove a couple of inches?

I installed (many years ago) a tub that had an angled bathing area,which left two wide spots for resting coffee cups and such. Anyone know which tub it is? (if it's still around).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue_b

When I had a similar question and found it wasn't the kind of thing easy to 'google' on the web, I called the biggest kitchen and bath showroom place in my area and asked for residential bath sales. The salesperson was very helpful and knew everything about bathtubs. I called Ferguson and I know they have a showroom in Scottsdale. Years ago I went there in person -- I had to make an appointment -- and found it was a good place to get started in kitchen (and bath)fixture ideas as everything is out on display. I recommend a place like that for you to ask your question on the phone.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 9:26AM
lazy_gardens

I asked an experienced remodeler who has done work in the area, and his experience was that the builder always left enough room for the "upgrade" wide tub to be installed without any more concrete work.

That makes sense to me.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 9:34AM
katem69

If you have 36" available, I don't see why a larger tub would be difficult. You have the space available. Corner bath tubs take a lot of space, so I don't know what your length is you didn't say. Our tub is 42" wide which we went from a 36" and I don't think there was much difference. The drain had to be moved, but it didn't cost us much to do that. Most any bath tub you put in you will have to move the drain, unless you adding the exact size again. We bought our bath tub online and we saved a lot of money. The link is below. I'd call and ask someone who sells bath tubs how difficult the changes would be and what they would suggest.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bath Tub outlet Store

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 2:45PM
sandra_zone6

I think it depends on the type of tub you have now and what you want to install. I have a 30" cast iron tub and had wanted to replace it with a 32" cast iron that had deeper depth to overflow. After talking to 2 people, we've decided to stick with our current tub since the demo and re-install alone will cost more than the new tub.

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Question for Bill or other expert about Redguard waterproofing
Bill, Hope you recall I posted the whirlpool / shower...
lenitsa
Prevent damage-remove and apply polish to your fingernails/toenails
I am concerned about damage to porcelain floor tile...
risforremodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™