Tub Suggestions for Elderly Parent?

gilmoregalNovember 8, 2013

My mother (82 yo) must replace her cracked Jacuzzi tub and has decided not to get another whirlpool tub. We are searching for a drop-in tub to fit the existing platform: 60" x 34 or 36" - but because of mobility issues, it needs to be no more than 19.5" deep. Integrated grab bars would be helpful - but not mandatory, as we do plan to have external grab bars installed. Our plumber brought several catalogs, but we are having trouble finding anything that is not too deep. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabbythecat

Would she be willing to switch to showers? I know that many elderly people don't like showers - my mother hated them - but tubs, even with grab rails, are so unsafe for older people.

Other than that - I hope someone knows good tub options for you.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 8:19AM
gilmoregal

Gladys1924 - She does have a separate shower in her master bathroom which she has been using since her tub cracked. But she really prefers and enjoys baths, so we are hoping to find a tub that fits the space but isn't too deep. At some point, she may have to switch completely to showers, but at least for now we would like for her to have the option of taking a bath. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 10:06AM
sloyder

maybe this one

Here is a link that might be useful: tub

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 11:41PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Walk in tubs? They have doors on the sides.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Walk in tubs

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 12:16AM
williamsem

I saw one of these at our local ReStore and don't understand why they aren't more popular. Seems like the integrated step would be very useful to many.

With the addition of grab bars, this might be a reasonable way to go...

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 10:19AM
Harry.003

My mother has recently got detected with spinal problem so as per suggested by doctor she was not allowed to bend or put any pressure on her lower body. So one of the problems we had was like other homes we also have traditional bath tubs, but now because of my mothers condition we were looking out for some really good options in walk-in tubs. Then on our doctors suggestion we got installed these walk-in tubs from Safeguard Tubs company. As he recommended it we didnt gave second thought and bought it. Well it has sure acted as boon for my mother as she dosent have to bend for her shower and can easily enjoy her bath without any assistance. Also we its safety bars she can manage herself all alone. If it can help me..you can also try it out

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:21AM
Katy60

For a lot of people, waiting for the tub to empty before getting out can be pretty miserable as they have to sit, wet, for 7 to 10 minutes while the water gradually drains. There is the Ava tub which drains quickly into a holding tank, which then drains normally, allowing the side to open in 30 seconds (or so they claim). However, I just looked at an add and it costs just about as much as a small car!

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Round Wall-Mounted Tub Spout
TheBathOutlet
Meditub 26x46 Left Drain White Soaking Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
"Firenze" Tub Mat - WHITE
$28.00 | Horchow
Christopher Knight Home Crystal 3-light Chrome Chandelier Flush Mount
Overstock.com
Muriel Chandelier
Lightology