R-38 icynene in attic space

mjlbAugust 14, 2012

I would be surprised if someone has had this exact issue, but I'm hoping for some direction in researching this. (e.g. I've been to icynene.com, but didn't find answer that I wanted.)

The attic insulation is R-38 icynene. The inspector is suggesting that the icynene must be covered with gypsum board. I thought there might be a difference if the space was occupied vs unoccupied attic space? b-t-w, the attic space ceiling ht is much too low for future occupied use.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Code requirement for an ignition barrier may be satisfied by 1.5" of mineral fiber, 3/8" drywall or 1/4" wood structural panels; other ignition barriers, including spray or roll-on fire barriers, may be accepted.

See link below for picture matching your situation. Your SPF installer should have mentioned this requirement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decoding Thermal and Ignition Barrier Requirements

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 6:32PM
worthy

Ignition and thermal barriers are different, but related concepts. Having one doesn't preclude the necessity of having the other.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 6:42PM
mjlb

Wow, that was FAST, Worthy! From the date on the powerpoint booklet, I guess this is timely. The drawings at the back of the booklet are very helpful (our situation is a vented attic). When I've had a chance to discuss with builder and inspector, I may be back on-forum.

Thanks so much for your help!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:31PM
IcyBuildingScience

Hi mjlb,
We'd like to understand more about your attic insulation and the gypsum board suggestion. You are welcome to contact our Building Science team to discuss your unique situation and get to a solution, please call us on 1-800-758-7325 (tollfree). Look forward to hearing from you!

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 3:53PM
energy_rater_la

additional info.

http://sprayfoam.com/newsarchives/archivedetails.cfm?id=512

open or closed cell? you are aware that to achieve
R-38 will take several inches of foam?
open cell is about R-4 per inch closed cell about R-7.
code doesn't accept q or k values invented by foam
companies.

best of luck.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 6:16PM
mjlb

Thank you all! It never ceases to amaze me the info available on-line.

Geez - a forum devoted to thermal barrier and ignition barrier for sprayfoam - who'd a thunk-it?

I passed the icynene 800 tel number on to the builder, since he is more conversant with the details of this project.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
Structured pre-wiring
Intention is to bring in Control 4 dealer to install...
Hart Sensory Designs
What is this style of home called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™