Custom external blower with a cylinder hood?

eleenaSeptember 11, 2012

I really need someone to enlighten me about hoods.

B/c of the "architecture" of my kitchen, I cannot get a "ready" commercial hood (unless installer #5 will tell me otherwise).

I was told to get a motor and install two in-line vents, connected in something like an inverted "Y" fashion (I forgot the technical term for it). But they will be 6 ft above the cooking surface. Also, they told me I could only get total 450-600 cfm from both vents combined, which is clearly not enough for a vent that is so high above the cooktop.

The problem is that the opening for the vent we have now, is not centered in relation to the cooktop b/c of a joist in the ceiling. Also, there is a brick cove around the cooking area and I cannot do much about moving the cooktop. The distance from the front wall to the back wall of the cove is ~15" and the distance from the center of the vent opening to the left wall is about ~8", so attempts to find a commercial hood have proven hopeless - so far.

Now, I have read here that external blowers are quieter than internal ones.

That brings my question. Would it be possible to use an external blower with a cylinder "tube" hood, similar to Faber Cylindra hoods? Does anyone sell "small-footprint" hoods w/o a motor? What kind of filer do I need?

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Faber hood

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan1888

How about a picture. Usually a hood works efficiently when the collection portion extends beyond the dimension of the cooking surface. Of course sometimes the most is unavailable and the choice is the best for the circumstances.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:21AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Capture area is more important than CFMs. You aren't going to make up for a lack of capture area with a jet engine sucking out air. All you are going to do is add noise.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:17PM
eleena

Yes, this is what I thought!

Do those cylindrical hoods work?

If I can fit them, I can try putting two Faber Cylindra hoods but each one is $1900 and (sort of) beyond my current budget.

I have talked to many folks at kitchen design/appliance stores as well as paid an electrician for a consultation and nobody knew of a hood that could fit in that area.

I'll try to post pix later today.

But if anyone knows of a less expensive cylinder or square hood, please let me know! An installer will be here in two hours for a consultation and I need to show him some pix.

TX!

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
BlueStar Refrigerators
Anyone taken a look at the new BS refrigerators? If...
Mistman
48 inch Dual Fuel Range and single wall oven Choices
I am glad I found this forum by accident if not I wont...
hkwan
Oven Control Board bad again, 4th time. Kenmore Double Wall Oven
Hi everyone. I have a 5-6 year old Sears Kenmore Double...
fireboat
Sponsored Products
Dainolite DLSL309-12R Pendant - DLSL309-12R-CM-SC
$496.00 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft L-Shaped Leather Sectional Sofa in Tan
$1,649.00 | LexMod
KOHLER Kitchen Iron/Tones Self-Rimming/Undercounter Cast Iron 24.25x18.75x8.25
Home Depot
Welles Bench - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Enigma-X 36 in. x 48 in. x 78.75 in. Standard Fit
Home Depot
Darlee Santa Anita Patio Sofa
Hayneedle
Three-Light Satin Nickel Bowl Ceiling Fan Light Kit
$42.95 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group FAL-5550 - Clips Clips Square Wall Sconce (ADA) - Matte Bla
$196.20 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™