Crown moulding in small bathrooms? Yes or no?

pussuskattusOctober 3, 2010

All -

My builder and I walked through my house about a week before the trim carpenter got started, and we agreed that the crown moulding should be a cove moulding and a cradle - making it a two-piece moulding and about 4-5" tall total. It is all paint-grade poplar.

Well, I never thought they would put crown moulding in the little upstairs bathrooms! I assumed we were talking about the living room, bedrooms, dining room, etc, you know, the big rooms.

So I walk in there yesterday and see that the hard-working carpenters have put the two-piece crown moulding in every room in which they can stand upright (except the small closets and the laundry room). Not only that, but they wrapped the crown around into the showers!

My DH wants me to leave it, because I would be tearing out a lot of work, but it looks weird to me, especially since I have never had crown moulding in the bathrooms.

What do you all think? I am fine with crown in the master bath - that is a huge room with a high ceiling. But I have a hard time with big crown moulding in a room that is 5 feet by eight feet.

Votes? Comments? Thanks......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peteinsonj

My house is about 50 years old, and crown is not only in the main areas -- its in the smaller baths.

Give it time, you'll find it a beautiful architectural detail!

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 11:22PM
mongoct

If it fits with the style of the room and with the flow of the house, leave it. If it drives you nuts, then it's your call.

I have a simple crown in my kid's bathroom, even inside the 4-wall tub surround enclosure. Nothing fancy. Tile on the walls to the ceiling, a wood ceiling, and simple wood crown. No issues.

In our master bath I have crown, but the walk-in shower is tiled on all six sides of the cube. No crown in the shower.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a run of seven-piece built-up crown in a public powder room on the first floor of the house, the powder room is less than 3' wide and about 7' long.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 11:25PM
susanelewis

Wow, I would be pleasantly surprised to see that, not disappointed. I think that shows an excellent builder who has the wherewithal to give that type of attention to a small room. I have crown in two of my bathrooms (master bath not yet) and the smallest being 5x8 and we deliberately added it years after it was built.

I think after it's all done you will see how moulding adds to the finished look of any room.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 10:28AM
classicalone

I have crown mouldings in my baths, which are small, and I think it looks great.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 11:03AM
pussuskattus

Hey, y'all, thanks for the input. I'll stop driving myself crazy and let it stay there and give it a chance.

Thanks for all your advice.

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 8:00AM
sue_b

Here is my 5 x 8 bath ceiling. The crown molding is Timbron, a product made from recycled styrofoam. I like having the crown molding in the small bathroom.

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 11:03AM
southerngalinnyc

hey pussuskatus,
I think it is probably lovely, but can you post some photos to help us understand what you see...
cheers,
e

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 11:43PM
housewifewannabe

Yes! Crown mouldings are beautiful! I am creating a bathroom from a closet (32 sq.ft.), and the mouldings are making it look better. I have pics on small bathrooms with mouldings, as well.
Look at my blog: Happy Renovations

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 9:40PM
cpartist

I insisted the gc put crown in my small bath.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 5:11PM
mongoct

Here's a bit of crown that trims out a small sink alcove in a small powder room. There's another run of similar above this running around the room. Small powder room, about 3' by 7'.

This section of crown in the photo is sort of split into an upper portion and a lower portion. The upper part is regular crown, the lower part is a picture rail.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 5:52PM
bulldinkie

My half bath 5x5' has crown mouldings pretty.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
Sponsored Products
Chrome Traditional Exposed Sequential Thermostatic Shower Faucet Valve
Hudson Reed
Fusion Modular Two-Light Black Nickel Bath Fixture
$300.00 | Bellacor
Hudson Valley Dixon Traditional Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Free Standing White Soap Dispenser with Moka Top
TheBathOutlet
Cardell Cabinets Norton 60 in. W x 21 in. D x 34.5 in. H Vanity Cabinet Only in
Home Depot