How would you create this vintage-look hood?

marcoloSeptember 12, 2012

I mean, obviously it's from a custom metal fabricator. However:

1) Which insert would you choose?

2) How would you paint it? Powdercoat it?

3) Do you see any lurking disasters or fatal flaws?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

If you want to paint it, try a car paint shop.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 6:05PM
breezygirl

If you haven't ruled out a regular custom hood manufacturer, you might want to look at Rangecraft. Made in Jersey. They'll match any color you want. I can attest to their excellent quality fit and finish. I'm sure MA can do the same.

In absence of those makers, powder-coating or automotive paint would do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rangecraft

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 6:47PM
marcolo

I'm already looking into Modernaire--I just want backups in case the price comes in too high. Rangecraft is a good suggestion.

Any insert brands that would be particularly good/poor for this application if I go that route?

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 6:58PM
sombreuil_mongrel

External blower. Of course you would have to create your own illumination, but then you're a bright fellow ;)
Casey

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 8:33PM
lalithar

Ok.. I explored this but for a barrel shape.. You need to find a sheet metal shop willing to bend, shape and weld the piece for you. Make sure they use 16 gauge so that the the hood has some sturdiness. The part in the bottom is the hardest as you don't want sharp edges and corners. Shop for baffle filters before and size the hood around it. See ebay link below..Figure out what kind of lights you want.. Typical hoods have halogen. These seem to be mostly installed similar to can lights on the ceiling. You can also do LED cans.. I was looking to go with 2in LED cans.. Or just under counter lighting even. You need a creative electrician, who is willing to do the wiring and install the lights. My electrician was willing to do it. There is always the option of buying a hood liner and working from that. We decided to wire it to the a rheostat on the wall that would control both the roof mounted fan and the lights. Finally you need a smaller auto shop willing to powdercoat your baby(trust me by this point, you would have taken care of it like a baby with related effort for feelings and laundry). You can pick any of the RAL colors.
My process broke down here., I could not find an auto shop near me to powdercoat the hood. I really tried.. But it was not to be.. Hope you have better luck and persistence to get it done

Here is a link that might be useful: Baffle filters on eBay.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:23AM
lalithar

I also wanted to share this post.. If you can get a liner with the electricals and do a roof mounted or inline fan, then a lot of shaping magic is possible with drywall, wood and plaster as well. See all the examples from boxer pups below..

Here is a link that might be useful: Customizing a hood

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Lights on my Jenn-Air dishwasher
I have a two year-old Jenn-Air Trifecta dishwasher...
sail_away
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Seeking Bosch Benchmark Feedback
I know there have been a few posts regarding the new...
nadianyc
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™