Need ideas for high traffic indestructible floor that looks good

mommabirdOctober 17, 2012

My 1st floor bath is the main one for the house. I have 3 teen sons so it gets a lot if hard use. The vinyl floor is about 30 years old and needs replaced.

I want something that looks good and is indestructible, easy to clean and won't absorb spills, and I can install myself.

I keep comin back to new vinyl to fit all those criteria. But yuck - I really want something different

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

I think sheet vinyl is your best option. Get a commercial grade. Pricey, but I've had it in my mudroom/laundry room for 25+ years and it still looks great. All of my other floors have been replaced. Doesn't look dated either. Actually looks very modern.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 10:33AM
kirkhall

There are some nice looking sheet vinyls.
We have one in our kitchen and people mistake it for tile frequently.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 11:57AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I have a cushioned sheet vinyl floor in my craft room and I love it...very easy to clean, easy under foot, not noisy at all and fairly warm under foot.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 1:37PM
chispa

Porcelain rectified tile installed with vey narrow grout lines. The 2 I've used are rated for commercial applications, so very durable. I spilled a can of paint in one of the rooms and was able to easily wipe/mop it all up with some towels - no damage to the tile at all.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:35PM
GreenDesigns

Porcelain tile is the only material that I can even think of that would fit the description. Sheet vinyl certainly can be tough, but it is by no means "indestructible".

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:52PM
pricklypearcactus

I would agree with chispa and GreenDesigns that I would consider large porcelain tiles with narrow grout lines to be the least destructible flooring material. I've installed porcelain tile myself and it's certainly doable. I would opt for a mid or darker color like dark gray or charcoal or a darker beige. I would choose a darker grout color and seal it.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 6:33PM
mommabird

Thank you all. I had a talk today with a friend who fixes up old houses and sells them. He sided with the porcelain tile crowd. He suggested 18" or 24" tiles because there are less grout lines, narrow gap for grout, and dark grout. I saw a show on TV recently where the man laying tile mixed the grout 1/4 water and 3/4 sealer. That way the grout is sealed all the way through and sealed permanently. My friend also said he'd would help me do the tile - he suggested laying them on a diagonal since my bathroom is small. He said it would give an illusion of more space.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Shower screen
I am looking to change my bathroom from a separate...
timcar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™