Need advice on Rainshower head height

piscesgirlOctober 30, 2012

Would like advice as to what is the best height for our rainshower head.

We have 8' ceilings. Our showerhead has 2 7/8" height. I am 5'3" and my husband is 6'

If we use a 6" arm the showerhead will be at about 7.25' (1.25' above my husbands head and 2' above my head).

If we use the 12" arm the showerhead will be at about 6.75' (0.75' above my husband's head and 1.5' above my head)

I had read somehwere that ideally you want a 1' distance from the bottom of the rain shower head to the tallest person using the shower, because if the rain shower head is installed too high it creates a pelting effect which is clearly not the desired effect.

I was looking at the 6" stem but now I am concerned that that will be too high for my height and I will not like how it feels. I tried out a rainshower head (moen velocity) at a hotel and it was installed so that I could touch the rainshower head with the tip of my fingers (to adjust the setting on the rainshowerhead), which would mean a 12" arm on my ceiling, as I wouldn't be able to touch the rainshower with a 6" arm.

But I also don't want my husband to feel like the rainshower head is right above his head.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phiwwy

I would get the 6" arm, and supplement with a nice handshower on a slide bar. Men tend to use the rain shower, women a shower head or hand shower from the wall. Hand shower is KEY for cleaning as well! I do think 12" is too close....

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™