Any reason not to use this tile on my shower floor?

threeapplesOctober 24, 2013

I'm rethinking using marble on our master shower floor after the headache the first time around. This appears like marble in the photo, but the sample I purchased is a solid color black, no white veining. Anyway, is there anything about the material of this tile or its thickness that should concern me for a shower floor? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lillo

Where is the photo?

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:51PM
threeapples

https://store.missionstonetile.com/Glazed-Porcelain-2-Hexagon-Mosaics-Black-p/ufcc103-12m-.htm

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 8:16AM
catbuilder

What kind of tile is it?

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 8:16AM
lillo

I have the white color of that tile on my shower floor. I got it from the Tile Shop . The tile man was not happy when laying it because it's thin for the cuts , but it turned out fine . I haven't used it yet to tell you how solid it is over time , but the tile man said that since its layed well that will not be a concern .

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:43AM
threeapples

Ok. Yes, it is much thinner than our stone hex flooring in other areas, but I can't seem to find a thicker glazed porcelain hex. Any ideas?

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 10:15AM
shanghaimom

Threeapples,

Before the tiler installed our Carrera marble hex mosaic shower floor, I printed off your entire saga of that original thread for him to read. I was so worried that it might happen to us, too. It was over 20 pages, I think!

Anyway, he said he has done hundreds of light marble shower floors and it would be fine. It IS fine. No darkening like you and others have had. There IS a way to do this 100% correctly so that there won't be any water under there. One thing--he didn't seal-maybe that helps?

I wouldn't want you to use a dark porcelain if what you want is the white marble. Mightn't it be wet under the porcelain, too, but you would see it? I don't know--this whole business is so confusing, as you well know by now.

What I'm TRYING to say is, find someone who has done many successful showers like what you want. Look on Houzz for your area then ask the builder/designer who did the tile then call them up. ??? Ask your local tile shops who sell this material to recommend the BEST installer they know of. You CAN get it done correctly.

Good luck to you!

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 1:19PM
lillo

I think the key is not in the material but in the way the shower floor is water proofed and laid . I remember the tile man installed the pan and water proofed it well with the orange membrane of the schluter system . After laying the floor tile he kept on pressing on it several to times all over to keep it all sloping towards the drain in the middle . Good luck finding somebody who can do a good job .

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™