how am I getting PUPS? What is Silverlight?

carolssisJuly 28, 2014

I have not downloaded anything for a long time. So how is it that Malwarebytes keeps finding PUPS on my computer? 58 instances last time. Seems like a lot, and slows down start and shut down considerably.
Also, just what is the program Silverlight supposed to be for?
Acer Laptop, Vista, Firefox. No problems at current time. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Silverlight is a Microsoft program similar to but different from Flash player. I don't install it and its rare a page will ask to allow it to install. Some Microsoft site video's mostly use it.

Pups if you didn't install on purpose, come with installs of regular programs usually .. when you take the default install methods that's when most pups get installed. I always do a custom install and look at every thing.. usually uncheck boxes that would install the extra free stuff.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:33PM
carolssis

I run my security programs about 2 to 3 weeks apart. I know I did not install anything since last security runs. There were several instances of Conduit/Search/Protect, some in registry value or key. Malwarebytes removed them or quarantined them all. But I KNOW I did not install a program. I have more programs than I need, now. I just can't figure out where they come from. I do email, read news online, read forums. That's pretty much all I do. Makes no sense that the pups are on here. Thanks for the reply.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:06AM
SnidelyWhiplash

Among other things, Silverlight is required for Netflix streaming.

There are benign tracking cookies and other like things that some scan programs blow a siren about. Take 'em off, leave 'em on, your choice. They're like weeds in the lawn doing no harm that some people dislike and others ignore.

Get a security program that runs itself and does so at least weekly.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:21PM
dadoes

Malwarebytes and such are good to have and use but they tend to be unnecessarily alarmist on some things. I *never* bother with deleting cookies, any cookies, for example.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 4:10PM
elks

I've had trouble with PUPs too. The attached link helped, particularly running AdwareCleaner before Malwarebytes. My computer sped up considerably.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: PUP.DataMngr Removal Guide

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
Someone have a link for free Chrome browser?
I have been having troubles downloading files from...
shaddy101
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™